Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers

Has anyone done an 87 octane tune? Is there any point to it? I'm not necessarily worried about performance, but I'd like to see better gas mileage. I'd consider 89 if it offset the 30-50 cent increased cost.

I havent heard of anyone tuning to 87 octane, but it's actually not a bad idea if you were trying to go the budget route. I think I heard that Matt over at GearHead does some fuel economy tunes, might be worth reaching out to him to see. Of course, as you said, performance would be out the window, but if that wasn't your thing, then I'd say go for it...worth a shot...

I've read some fuel octane comparison experiments and when it comes to mpg, it appeared to me that higher octane fuel gave negligible increases. Here's one I read awhile back about it as an example (not our platform, but interesting results nonetheless):

Is Premium Gas Worth It? We Test High Octane on 4 Popular Vehicles

Side note: benefit of switching to e85, I only spent about $38 filling up now, lol...but damn...those cold starts are rough, haha

I've had the Unleashed tune on mine for 4 years (he tweaked different stuff for me just how I wanted it). It's for 93 octane since I use that mostly, course nowadays I'm putting in E85. the only two gas stations in town are a county block away. :D
I also have the K&N CAI and they tuned for that, premium, and I had him add alot to the throttle, but then had him do a tune with it backed off. It REALLY ate and got going, but wasn't usable for small around town driving, especially with the wife.

So, TLDR, Unleashed Rocks and I'd definitely do it again.

Back