Turbo 5.0 with a basic T3, opinions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo 5.0 with a basic T3, opinions?

TB0335 Turbo off of a Dodge 600.
Specs:
Basic T3 - .42/.48
Oil & Water Cooling
No Shaft-play.

Small enough to boost a small car to to roughly 200hp but for quick spool characteristics and towing capabilities for an SUV like ours. Would this even be smart? I'm afraid the turbo is TOO small and might blow.

I also have a 2.5 I/O intercooler and BOV from a 93 Saab 9000... just need a wastegate, custom piping, custom exhaust...etc... all of the other things incorporated with turbocharging.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im interested as well as i can have a holset hx35 for about 300$ vs a garett (1000$)

I think it's way to small. It's not going to blow up but will be out of it's range and heat the air. Then you risk detonation and could blow the engine.

You don't have to go with garret. You can try precision or other popular brands.

I think it's way to small. It's not going to blow up but will be out of it's range and heat the air. Then you risk detonation and could blow the engine.

You don't have to go with garret. You can try precision or other popular brands.

Hm.. well I guess I'll just have to look for another and twin turbo this beast :D

Speaking of that, has anyone on here done it? I'm sure it's a long shot with limited space under our hoods. Just curious!!!

im interested as well as i can have a holset hx35 for about 300$ vs a garett (1000$)

A Holset's an entire different story dude... but if you custom fab stuff and tune it out right I'm sure it'll be a decent setup.

That TB0335 goes on a 2.2 liter engine in that 600? Yeah that is way way too small for that application. I don't have a compressor map to plot where your flow would fall for it but just by rough reference that turbo would be a better candidate for a TT setup in your 5.0 Explorer. If ran in single chances are likely that the turbo itself would indeed blow. You would be spinning that thing to the moon and those journal bearings don't like that too much. Huge backpressure, boost creep unless running huge wastegate would lead to detonation because of the insane amount of backpressure encountered. Not to mention the items Jake already outlined.

The keys to establish before looking for turbos is how much can you afford (aka JY build or new stuff), what sort of performance are you looking for, and what are your horsepower, dragstrip or other racing goals with it. In addition to this will be the complexity of the fabrication and your skill level. All things might point towards you getting a real stout TT setup but if you plan to do the work yourself and cannot weld too good then you may be forced to throttle back a bit. Just a few suggestions before jumping the gun and starting down a mod path that may net results you weren't looking for.

The HX35 is more befitting a turbo for a 5.0 Explorer or higher than street boost. It would spool slowly for a 4.0 V6 engine on lower boost and not be very efficient.

Back