U-Haul Explorer Receiver Cover

13Sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
For a company that refuses to rent a trailer to anyone driving a Ford Explorer (regardless of year/model), I thought this was pretty ironic.

Ford Explorer Receiver Cover | U-Haul

Note: U-Haul will now rent trailers to owners of 5th gen +Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 97 sport had a u haul hitch and my trailer wiring is also u haul

My trailer hitch was bought and installed by uhaul, I speciifcally told them that I needed it to rent trailers from them.

Which I still do.

My trailer hitch was bought and installed by uhaul, I speciifcally told them that I needed it to rent trailers from them.

Which I still do.

Interesting since they have a nationwide corporate policy to deny rentals to anyone towing behind a Ford Explorer (any year/model).

Thats pretty funny

Funny for sure.

Marketing FAIL !!!. What a bunch of idiots. :confused:

Marketing FAIL !!!. What a bunch of idiots. :confused:

My opinion of U-Haul couldn't get any lower so this really doesn't surprise me.

The only thing that keeps them in business is the lack of a viable alternative.

Which is fine unless something goes wrong with the trailer causing damage to it or your explorer, or injury or death. You'll have no recourse against U-Haul since you are not towing behind the vehicle that you rented the trailer for.

With a lawyer you could prove how inept they are in training there personel, very easily.

why wont they rent u a trailer if you have an explorer?

EDIT!

read it on the other topics...that sucks!!!

why wont they rent u a trailer if you have an explorer?
I believe it goes back many years to 2000 and 2001 when the Explorer came with Firestone tires. Those 15" tires had a very high failure rate which usually involved tread separation and resulted in some roll-overs. Both companies sued each other. From what a U-Haul dealer told me, they no longer rent to people who tow with Explorers because it is easier to set that policy then get involved in any possible future lawsuits.
The fact that the present day Explorer bears no resemblance to the earlier one makes no difference.

Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

The awesome part is the mechanically similar vehicles can rent them. Do they classify Sport Tracs as Explorers?

The awesome part is the mechanically similar vehicles can rent them. Do they classify Sport Tracs as Explorers?
If look up the link posted by 13Sport, you'll find that the answer to you question is YES.

Peter

Back