U-joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-joints

Riceburner247

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
For a while I've been hearing this squeeking, clicking noise coming from under my X while I drive around town. I just chalked it up as another transmission, haha. Anyways, my rear U-joint turns out to be severely slacked and worn, and in desperate need of replacement. My rule on fixing things is "If something breaks, go overboard on correcting the problem.".

With that in mind, I'm looking for the heaviest-duty replacement for front and rear. Although I know my way around cars, I'm still lost as far as performance companies for 4wd's. I need some suggestions on where to go to pick up some good, quality u-joints.

Spicer U-joints. I doesn't really matter the brand, as long as you grease them they'll last nearly forever.

Second on the Spicers. There are a few companies around with high-end joints, and even some that tout their greasable joints as being strong, but it's really tough to beat good 'ol Spicer parts.

Definitely go with the greasable ones with the zerk fitting -- available at just about any parts store.

Greasable ones are not as strong as non-greasable because they (the greasable ones) have a small hollow center section through which the grease travels through. But unless you're pushing 38"+ tires and fancy the trails, then you don't need to worry about strength.

Back