UGH... help with transmission modulator install! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UGH... help with transmission modulator install!

Yeah the valve is hollow and the pin slides into it. You have three choices (well 4 actually)...1) buy the sonnax upgrade, it comes with a slightly different pin. 2) Go to a rebuilder and see if they might have a pin to give or sell you. 3) Try the ford dealer. the pin description and number is "Rod (TV control) 7A380." Lastly, failing that I can send you one. I recommend that since you are this far replace it with the sonnax. Get some teflon spray and squirt it in the hole (I know this ain't easy under the vehicle with the trannie installed... find something - a wooden skewer or something (don't laugh I keep wooden BBQ skewers around in my trannie tools for all kind of safe things - they won't scratch a VB or bore) one big enough that you can wedge in the core of the valve and gently work the valve in and out of the lubricated bore until you are confident it slides smoothly. Install pin in TV, install in end of modulator and install asssembly into case, lube the bore well, as well as the O-ring. Vaseline is a good choice here (as well).

I think the small black looking piece in his pic looks like the infamous pin we are talking about that is probably missing. If its not there, it won't work right. Period. The parts (valve) in his pic are in the valve body, if you could see in the bore where the valve sits you would only see whatever end is toward you.

Umm...assuming its not there, maybe a trans shop has one laying around? My old A4LD has it still (I think), but I am a very long ways from you. Also in post #12 glacier said he might have one laying around.

It would have been easier on you in the long run to let a shop replace this part, since its been such a pain. Oh well...we live and learn. :D

I should add that pic shows from top to bottom... the pin (which will vary in length depending on whether you use stock or upgrade).. the upgrade sonnax steel valve, and at the bottom, the old design valve. NOT all that is in there, just one valve and a pin.

If you aren't really confused yet <sorry for any miscommunication>, If you need to PM me and I can give you my phone number and I can try and explain this to you voice.

Back