Ugh... why'd I let my friend change my spark plugs for me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ugh... why'd I let my friend change my spark plugs for me?

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I gave my friend my credit card to buy spark plugs and change them for me while I was at work,w as only going to cost me lunch so I said okay...

Well he used NGK Platinum Spark Plugs... absolute trash. The Explorer is idling so hard and just chugging through gasoline right now... On the back of the boxes it says do not adjust spark plug gap... but when I ask my friend he says he checked the gap anyways and it's right next to .060!!

Needless to say, I'm going to redo them myself... and Autozone had better take these damn plugs back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch!!

haha, commented almost at the same time.

Look at the bright side; atleast he didn't strip the threads?

Yea... it just sucks cause I know I'm going to have to be an ass**** to get Autozone to take them back... From what I'm told it was listed "as a direct replacement" for my year Explorer... so why they aren't "gappable" and make it run like **** is beyond me...

If worst comes to worst I'll just use Autolites again this time from Wal-Mart as a cheap solution until I get paid on the 1st.

Does your friend know what happened?
Lol

Id make him do it as I watched, and id also check my bank account!!!

i just use the motocraft ones from ford.. they are like 5$ i piece

Josh,

You can say that NGK is a bad plug, but I like them and they have always worked well for me. Close the gap and see if they run better. Just my two cents.

Matt

I called NGK about their plugs before, when their iridium plugs (for some other vehicles) said the same thing about not adjusting the gap. They said they DO usually come pre-gapped for the application, BUT with the PROPER TOOL (i.e. an electrode bender and constant-diameter wire gap checker, that doesn't touch the end of the side electrode or mess with the center electrode), it's fine to check, double check, the gap and then adjust if needed.

The electrodes on newer spark plugs, especially platinum and iridium, are much thinner and more fragile than the big thick ones many people were used to, and so adjusting them with a big slotted screwdriver or just prying the side electrode away from the center electrode, using the center electrode as a leverage point, can completely ruin the plug.

Despite how much I like NGK and their plugs, I only use the Motorcrafts in the X, they make a noticable difference in everything from a smooth idle, bottom and top end torque, and mileage, at least on a mildy modified 4.0 OHV.

You can probably take the plugs back to Autozone without a problem, especially if you're just exchanging them for the Motorcrafts.

You sure it's the plugs? Maybe he has the plug wires mixed up...

I run NGK Iridiums in my Mach with very good results.

Don't the platinum plugs tend to hold a lot of heat? I had them on my GTP and went to AL 104's and got rid of 2* of KR which adds timing and horsepower! It may just be the case with forced induction cars though...

I checked the plug wires and they're connected properly... Lol, after doing my spark plug/wires the first time myself and taking all the wires off... I quickly memorized and wrote dwon the order they're supposed to connect.

I called Autozone and they said they'll take them back no problem with a receipt (which thankfully I have in my possesion now).

The NGK plugs are probably better in other applications, but as for why they'd show as a direct replacement for the stock plugs and then the gap they come with be to big is beyond me... But I'm goign to go with the Motorcraft plugs and be done with this all ready. I'm out of town now but when I get back tomorrow that's the first thing I'm going to tackle.

I just put NGK V-Powers in my 2000 GT a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I've used NGK plugs and I have no complaints so far.

Back