UK Explorer Remote Entry/Immobiliser Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UK Explorer Remote Entry/Immobiliser Problem

mick 1836

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford,England,UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0. XLT. RHD.LPG
Until the 14th October 2007 I had owned a UK imported 1997 Ford Explorer RHD for the past 5 years and would buy another tomorrow but for the fact that the wife and I are currently touring the USA in an A class diesel pusher RV. :)

On leaving the UK I gave the Explorer to my eldest son who tonight contacted me informing me of a strange problem that I found in my 5 years of ownership occurred on one particular location in the town of Stafford (UK) where we use to live.

The location was the car park at Asda supermarket and the problem that ONLY occurred on this car park was that the remote control lock / immobiliser fail to operate.:confused:

The only way to lock or unlock the car using the remote was to touch the remote to the rear left side of the vehicle.:scratch:

At all other locations I could lock / unlock the vehicle over several hundred yards distance, even from inside the house when it was parked on the driveway. :thumbsup:

Now last night my son visited the cinema centre in Crewe, Cheshire UK and the problem stated occurred again and to disable the immobiliser he had to push the Explorer to the centres far side of it's car park. :(

Has any Explorer owner in either in the USA :usa: or UK :uk: ever had this sort of problem occur?

It is my thought that some locations are transmitting a signal be it Wi-fi or store security radios that is jamming the frequency being used by my ex Explorer but it's just a thought :dunno:

Thanks for any advice :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the US, and haven't experience any problem like this however I don't have the factory keyless entry. I have, however, used other Fords with factory systems and have not had an intermittent range problem. It could be possible that there's something nearby that's jamming the signal to the system. The module for this is located in the left side rear fender which explains why it works then even when you're experiencing this.

Is this the first time he's taken the Explorer to the movie theater? Or has he not experienced this problem before?

And as far as ASDA goes... well, Tesco's cheaper. ;)

Sorry to hi-jack but you got an interior pics of the RHD explorer?

But yes it sounds like something is jamming the signal.

Hi, I've just joined the forum but had exactly the same problem, a very patronising RAC patrol guy fitted a new remote battery but still had to sit IN the car to get it to work.

Months later I discovered that mobile phone transmitters jam the frequency and most UK petrol (gas) stations have a hidden aerial INSIDE the sign that has the prices etc on, I was parked next to this sign and I have tested the theory a dozen times, it does it every time.
The patronising patrol guy must have just put that extra bit of power in the remote with the new battery, I thought it was starange as everywhere else I have around 100 yards range.

I was thinking that this store maybe has a similar transmitter, would love to know just to prove/disprove my theory.

Good luck

I had that exact problem this weekend!

The RAC also came out to me and told me that it happens frequently with Explorers and early Land Rovers.

You were lucky wit the Asda Stafford as the Patrolman told me that the MOD used to have a transmitter near there that would Fry the electrics on explorers due to the signals they give out!

Apparently it is common and there is nothing you can do about it but move the car!

Thanks guy's for your replies and advice,look as if it's a problem that Explorers owners in the UK will have to put up with :(

iceman7329 As my original posting said we are currently touring the US and I gave the Explorer to my son, I shall ask him to take a few shots of the interior and e-mail them to you, if your e-mail address isn't on the forum could you please PM it to me.

Thanks ALL Once again.

Mine does this same thing at several locations around town here.

Nearly have to touch the RAP module to get it to work.

And it is VERY location specific, meaning I can move 3 spaces down the line, and no problems.

I'm new to forums but just an idea..... could we not make some kind of lists or maps of these no-go areas for both UK & US?

Pjmartin,

That could be a good idea but as I said in my original post in the 5 years I have owned my Explorer not only have I driven it in the UK but also annually in France and twice to Spain the last occasion being for 7 months.

During ALL that time I know of only two locations, Asda car park in Stafford and the cinema center in Crewe.

By the way if you know of an area and what to prevent 'it' happening just leave the key in the ignition switched to aux position. :)

Sorry to hi-jack but you got an interior pics of the RHD explorer?

iceman7329,

Sorry for the delay,here are those pictures you requested.

Truck003.jpg

Truck002.jpg

Truck001.jpg

Hope they are what you were looking for?

Back