• Register Today It's free!

Uk Explorer Recall

Bulldog

Reaction score
City, State
London England UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 98 V6 SOHC UK
Just recieved a recall notice from Ford UK about the Speed Control Deactivation Switch aparently it may overheat, smoke or burn. This may occur when the vehicle is parked or when it's being used, even if the Speed Control is not in use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I some how doubt it they will proberbly have it a week while they experiment.
then ask us if we have the information.

We've had nothing from Uncle Henry's mob yet...

How would I know if I was suppsosed to get a recall letter or not?

My local Ford don't know much about Explorers, as usual, so whenever I ask them about recalls they say there aren't any!!!

TIA :thumbsup:

Thats the same recall we've gotten over the pond, it took the technician about 5-10 minutes to do the job

Not all UK Explorers are affected. Apparantly Ford stopped fitting the 'dodgy' switch sometime in 1998. Some '98s are affected and some aren't. I remember checking the '98 I had when this story first broke in the US well over a year ago (yes, over a year - that's how concerned they are about us UK Ex owners...) and my Ex didn't have the dodgy type of switch. There was a thread on this site with links to tech info for identifying the rogue switches. And stories of Fords spontaneously combusting all over the US.
Anyway, it should be easy enough to swap the switch - it's screwed into the end of the brake master cylinder...

Simon H

If they can't do something simple like cut a key - what chance have they got of getting THAT right???

I got mine and its booked in next week.

As to if they will fix it or decide they dont have some special part when they get it is another matter

As is typical over here. My local dealer cannot get the parts and says that there are none in the country. They are apparently on back order with Germany. So much for a safety issue. In some ways I hope that I have a problem before the parts turn up. I can then firmly put the blame with the pathetic support from Ford UK.

Hi all,

After being told by my local dealer that the part was on back order on the 2nd October and they would let me know when it was in. I have waited for the call........

On Friday i had a bit of time on my hands and i phoned the dealer to ask what was happening and the parts man said it was on back order and could not tell me when it was going to be in and that basicly tough i had to wait for the part.

I then decided to take it a bit higher and spoke to the dealers general manager. A whole different ball game then opened up. I said that i realised that they would not have the parts in stock but i would not have expected it to take this long for the parts to come in whether it was from Germany or the USA. He said that he understood my frustration and he would look in to it and would call me back later that day.

Yeah right i can hear you all think but an hour later he did call me back !!!!

He advised that the part was on back order from the states and that it was listed as shipping, he said that this could mean many things but usually it ment that the parts were waiting on the dock side for transportation accross the pond. He thn went on to advise that this could take up to 2 weeks for it to get here.

Cracking i said i hope i am not one of the unlucky ones whose car catches fire!!

He then said he will keep investigating and will get back to me later on.

Low and behold he did phone back with more news. He said that he had spoken to Ford Technical and they had said that the offending item could be isolated so that it would pose a threat of fire. He then went on to say that he would try and see if he could get me a temporary car from Frod Customer Support. Again it was left that he would call me back.

The man kept to his word an called me back at about 6.00pm (it went to my voicemail) and he said that Ford had not got back to him yet about a replacement vehicle.

This morning he calls me to advise that the parts had arrived and if i can call him back he will get the car in asap and get it sorted for me.

I think it is fair to praise the dealer as we are all very quick to slate them so to Gates Ford delearship in Hertford and especially to Fred Sheppard thank you !!!!!

Andy

P.S. Sorry for the ramble ;)

You were lucky Andy!!

Thus far we've hear nothing from Customer Services so the wife rang them at Warley. After 15 minutes of being passed from person to peson - with us paying the phone bill - she FINALLY got some one who knew about the recal. But they insisted on the wife giving them the registration number originally issued when the car was imported!! We're the 3rd or 4th owners on the log-book and it has private plates so - in theory there is no way we would know what this was. However - I punched in the VIN into the Ford ETIS system and it came up with our Explorers details including the fact it was part of the recall AND giving the original registration number.
Now Customer Services have access to ETIS so why the hell couldn't they have asked for the VIN, entered it and given the wife the info???
Anyways - she rang them back and was told it had to be taken to Warley for inspection ????? So she queried it, asking if Ford would recompense her the lost earnings for havng to take a day off work; the response was failry predicatebe so she asked why she couldn't take it to a Ford dealer and got the answer "Well - I suppose so". Next step will be to ring Essex Ford as they have a collection arrangement from Dunton to see when they can do it.
In the mean time - hope there's no issues.............

I know what you mean my first conversation with the Hertford branch was not very good, they diverted me to there Harlow branch who then said that they would make the call to the Hertford one as there was no reason why they could not do it. All very painful

Apparently there are two parts that need to be changed and it should take about 30 to 45 minutes.

Andy

Hi- does this affect all explorers or only those from specific years?

Only certain years. Ask you dealer with the vin number and they can check out whether yours is affected.

Mine is now booked for Tuesday as the dealer rang to say they had the parts.

Well they did whatever they needed too and stamped my card. Not even opened the bonnet yet to see what they did, but it only took them 20 mins so it can't be much. My local dealer says that mine was the first but they have 5 more to do.

Got mine done now

Does anyone know what they change? i know they have not removed any of the steering wheel assembly as it is still dusty :rolleyes:

Andy

I think one of the items is a pressure switch that lives on the end of the brake master cylinder. No idea what the other item is, though...

Simon H

Well - ours is booked in with Essex Ford the Monday after next for the work to be done.

Should be interesting as they are collecting the Explorer from where I work (Fords Dunton site) and returning it when done.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well - after a catalog of errors later we've finally got the recall done.
They were supposed to have checked the handbrake as well - but one of the fiascos' was that I had to hand the keys over to the dealer rep at Fords Dunton site - who then had it picked up for the work. Ten past four in the afternoon I got a phone call from security saying they had the keys because Essex Ford couldnt get hold of me - on checking the envelope I wasn't suprised - they were tryng the wrong number!!
They were supposed to have sorted the handbrake as well - but a quick investigation proved nothing had chnaged, we still haven't got one!!
Suppose now I'll have to go chase them up on Monday to find out what happened and make sure that the recall work was actually done!!!!! :mad:

Back