• Register Today It's free!

Underbody corrosion / protection

MFD70

Reaction score
City, State
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer North Face
Hi All, As I've just spent about £400 on getting my explorer MOT's (more than its worth) and having a "slight structural corrosion" advisory I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on underbody cleaning and treatment. There does seem to be quite a lot of surface rust on the chassis, but I'm hoping this can be cleaned off and treated to prevent (or at least delay) any serious problems.
Also does anyone know if there is anyone who hires out garage facilities (I'll need a lift or good size pit) by the hour/day etc. in South Wales ? Google shows a few around London & South but nothing local.

In the US the Lowe's stores sell a spray paint called "rust reformer", I don't remember who is the manufacturer. Also, check Eastwood auto products online.
I have used these products restoring MGB's, Triumph, and Morris (the worst).
Good luck.
Tom.

The best thing you can do is get it back to bare metal as best you can. Use something like a rust reformer, phosphoric acid etc. Then use a good quality rust inhibiting primer like bondaprimer. Then top coat with something.
I'm going to use bondaprimer and tractol chassis paint on mine. But Unless you can strip everything back to bare metal, replace and weld new metal where it's bad in I think at best you will only slow things down

Like the others say, its all down to the prep. However the BEST underseal you can get is from Bilthamber Laboritories. They've been around for decades and originally came of out of the marine industry. They sell something called Dynax UB. This stuff is superb. Comes in large 750ml cans and even though its not the cheapest stuff on the shelf, as 2 cans delivered works out around 30 quid! it will NOT come off, in completely impervious and even has self healing qualities.

Give the area a good prep, then use this stuff and the rot will not return. Combine that with regular inspections and all will be well.

Back