• Register Today It's free!

unknown fluid leak.

Blkwdw

Reaction score
City, State
Cowra, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited
Hey all got another problem it seems with the explorer after the rad went. Starting to think buying it wasnt the right choice. Anyways i'm getting water dripping of the passenger side of the gearbox and its a constant drip enough to make a puddle under the car. The only fluid that car should hold is coolant and washer bottle fluid and seeing as the washer bottle is right at the front of the car and the coolant is green it cant be either of those.

The only other thing i can think of is the condensation of from the air con but would it make that much water? What are your thoughts plz i want to get the car sorted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is hot out and you are running your A/C then it is just condensation dripping. Mine leaves quite the puddle when it is hot and humid. This is a normal condition and nothing to worry about.

If it is hot out and you are running your A/C then it is just condensation dripping. Mine leaves quite the puddle when it is hot and humid. This is a normal condition and nothing to worry about.

Sweet was just a bit concerned.

The only other thing i can think of is the condensation of from the air con but would it make that much water? What are your thoughts plz i want to get the car sorted.

When you say "gear box" what are you referring to? The front diff or the transmission area? If the liquid in the puddle is indeed "water", and you are not running the AC unit at all at the time, it is probably from a "roof drain hose". I get a small puddle of water under my Ex each morning after the vehicle sits in the driveway overnight and the temps dropped down enough to create water condensation on the vehicle. If you are running the AC unit and it is very hot outside, the AC unit will drip a constant flow of water(also condensation) under the vehicle. As long as it is just clear water you are seeing, I wouldn't worry about it.

When you say "gear box" what are you referring to? The front diff or the transmission area? If the liquid in the puddle is indeed "water", and you are not running the AC unit at all at the time, it is probably from a "roof drain hose". I get a small puddle of water under my Ex each morning after the vehicle sits in the driveway overnight and the temps dropped down enough to create water condensation on the vehicle. If you are running the AC unit and it is very hot outside, the AC unit will drip a constant flow of water(also condensation) under the vehicle. As long as it is just clear water you are seeing, I wouldn't worry about it.

It drips out of a odd shape hose from the trans tunnel above the gearbox. Drips onto gearbox then onto ground and is very hot. Mainly notice it after a long drive with aircon on thats when it leaves the biggest puddles.

It drips out of a odd shape hose from the trans tunnel above the gearbox. Drips onto gearbox then onto ground and is very hot. Mainly notice it after a long drive with aircon on thats when it leaves the biggest puddles.

The water condesation would get hot in that area. You have a hot engine, exhaust and a hot tranny along with the fact the AC unit is removing heat from the inner cabin of the car.

Anyways i'm getting water dripping of the passenger side of the gearbox and its a constant drip enough to make a puddle under the car.

The only fluid that car should hold is coolant and washer bottle fluid and seeing as the washer bottle is right at the front of the car and the coolant is green it cant be either of those.

Since you've ruled out washer fluid, there's no other possible source of clear water except A/C condensation. No mystery.

Back