• Register Today It's free!

Unusual A4LD behavior

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My dad has a 92 for wheelin and up until this point, it had been perfect. Recently, my dad has been experiencing some problems with the transmission, here are the details:
On FIRST and INITIAL start-up, the transmission will take a long time to shift to 2nd gear (approx. 3100 RPM) but it will shift perfectly when changed manually by the shifter. Once the initial lag is done with, it shifts perfectly all day long. We did a tranny flush, fluid change, and we checked the modulator and it appears to be fine.
Has anyone had this before?? My dad and I will be bald if we don't figure this out soon. :D
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You describe a textbook example of the "sticking governor" syndrome. Lotsa info on this site about it on it, even pictures and links! It's a weekend DIY project with the trannie IN THE CAR ! Try and see what you find. If you need more info come back here.

Wow, there is alot of good info about that.
WOuld I be able to use TransTune (by seafoam) to potentially clean the governor?? I saw this in an ad and was wondering how affective it might be, having read of seafoam on this forum before.
Thanks!

There is no such thing as Unusual A4ld behavior. ;)

The main theory on the sticking governor is that small brass particles from the rear drum end caps find their way into the governor. It's not a chemical fix, or at least I have never heard of anyne fixing it that way - you need to remove the governor, take it apart and clean it up and put it back in. There is a small spring in an upgrade kit that you can add to help reduce the chance of a repeat - I posted pics of tis in my Rebuild Diary... But, you will need to get dirty.

Here's the stock governor, apart:

15286Dscn4215-med.jpg

here is an exploded view, with the "add-on spring in the mix..

15286DSCN4560_1_1.jpg

and the allegedly offending endcap (left) and new style upgreade (right):

15286Dscn4269-med.jpg

and here it is installed..

15286Dscn4857-med.jpg

Thanks for the help, looks like this weekend will be pretty grungy... ;)
I'll let you know if seafoam works...but it probably won't.

Back