UPDATE: A Pillar Fix and 2.8 Upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UPDATE: A Pillar Fix and 2.8 Upgrade

chimoman

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2011 Ltd
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know how things went at the dealers. Brought it in to have the A pillar fixed. They did the same repairs as they did to yourstones and they also Flashed the Sync system. V 2.8. It was very windy here in New Brunswick today and I took her for spin on the stretch of Highway that was making it rattle all the time. Winds were gusting at 40 to 60km and I had her going 105mph. Not a sound to be heard. Beautiful. As for MFT. The work ticket says the reprogrammed My Touch. It still says I have 2.4 on the sync my ride site? Seems to be working faster. I did the update status tool and it still comes up as 2.4. Not sure if they did it correctly. I sat and played with it for and hour. Works like a charm. Fast and no lag. I was having reboot issues and some warning for BLIS being blocked as well as adaptive cruise control being blocked. They said there was a TSB out for it. Like I said it took them 2.5hrs to do the REFLASH as they called it. Hope it worked. Just wondering why it still shows as 2.4?

Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please keep us posted if the gaskets go south on you. Curious if this is the permanent fix and will hold over time. Lucky you mine are on backorder until 6/30

Hi Everyone,
Winds were gusting at 40 to 60km and I had her going 105mph.
Cheers.

Curious - Did the governor kick in or was that all you wanted to push it?
I thought the max is 108?

Not sure. Had pretty deep. Wind was blowin good as well and she cut through it nicely. Just drove to Moncton tonight in a pretty nasty little rain storm with very high winds gusting to 40 mph. Not a peep from the A pillar. MFT is working really well. No lag, just the animation stuff that is pre programmed. Cheers. Time will tell.

If it says you have 2.4 its because you do. Many of these dealers have NO CLUE what they are doing. The first time they "updated" my MFT it did the same thing. Super fast for a day or two, then it all went to h*ll. It wasn't until it really got updated to 2.8 that things got better.

If it says you have 2.4 its because you do. Many of these dealers have NO CLUE what they are doing. The first time they "updated" my MFT it did the same thing. Super fast for a day or two, then it all went to h*ll. It wasn't until it really got updated to 2.8 that things got better.

Yeah, thought that. Never lost my phone list and everything was still the same. just some minor things were reset. Like the sound levels, Bass etc... Sent the dealer an email stating I want them to confirm that they gave me 2.8. I know they didn't. As I said, time will tell. Will keep updates coming. Cheers

When I upgraded to 2.8, it took a while for it to show up on the website.

O.K. Vegastime. Thanks,

Just go off the phone with the tech at the dealer he said "We had updated our IDS (diagnostic computers) Friday for the latest update. If any new Versions would have been out for the mytouch system, they would have been in that update." I guess it hasn't been updated on the sync site yet.

It seems to me there is a screen that lets you read the version from the LCD display. Does it still say v2.4 there or are you only looking at sync my ride? (Maybe the dealer didn't do whatever is needed to make sync my ride show the update.)

Curious because I see you're from NB. If your dealer can't get v2.8 that my dealer in Halifax probably can't get v2.8 yet either. And I definitely need something other than v2.4!

Just went on the sync site and it says that it is still version 2.4 in my history dated as of 9 May.

Site Reads following for history:

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 5/9/2011 ( Which is the day they supposedly fixed it to 2.8)

This is the exact same as when I bought the vehicle. Still working super fast though! So maybe I'll just wait and see.

It seems to me there is a screen that lets you read the version from the LCD display. Does it still say v2.4 there or are you only looking at sync my ride? (Maybe the dealer didn't do whatever is needed to make sync my ride show the update.)

Curious because I see you're from NB. If your dealer can't get v2.8 that my dealer in Halifax probably can't get v2.8 yet either. And I definitely need something other than v2.4!

If your dealer is telling you they "cant get the software" or "we dont have it yet" this further shows their ignorance.

They dont get anything sent to them they dial in to the Ford SYNC Servers and download it right into your vehicle.

They get access to all the versions and have to pick the right one based on the vehicle model, SYNC version, and their technical knowledge (or lack there of).

At the risk of sounding harsh, they're idiots at that dealer. Sgt is right, nothing to download, nothing to get in the mail. The sad part is that this is par for the course.

Every major company should learn from Apple: everyone knows their job and performs them exemplary well. When a tech tells you ABC, it is ABC. You can call, visit a store, or go online. The answer to your question will always be ABC; no matter who you ask and how many times you ask.

Just went on the sync site and it says that it is still version 2.4 in my history dated as of 9 May.

Site Reads following for history:

BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 5/9/2011 ( Which is the day they supposedly fixed it to 2.8)

This is the exact same as when I bought the vehicle. Still working super fast though! So maybe I'll just wait and see.

Have you downloaded & run the status checker tool from the syncmyride site? Mine was similar showing my previous version on the date it was updated but after running the tool & uploading the results it then showed v2.8.

Have you downloaded & run the status checker tool from the syncmyride site? Mine was similar showing my previous version on the date it was updated but after running the tool & uploading the results it then showed v2.8.

Yes I did that. Where I went to check was under history for the vehicle. That shows you what version was confirmed after install.........

I have never run the tool. In my case, syncmyride.com updated by itself showing v2.8 shortly after my system was updated.

Sync vs. MFT?

Is it possible that part of the communication breakdown is due to the confusion, that I admit I feel, between what is "Sync" and what is "MFT"? If your dealer actually said that they had the latest version of "My Touch"...maybe they are correct. Maybe they were just trying to update the My Touch interface, and not actually updating to the latest version of Sync? As I say, I admit, I'm not sure where Sync ends and MFT begins, or vice versa. I think it would be a HUGE victory for Ford if they could at some point harmonize (and simplify) these systems into one, integrated piece of vehicle technology.

Or, the dealer tech is an idiot. :)

I don't know ALTCanuck. Someone said it's a screwup on the sync site. All I know is that it's working like a charm now. Fast and very responsive. No reboots, everything works great. Knock on wood. We'll see. If it screws up again, I have all kinds of cannon fodder to blast at them. Should ask them if they want to hire me as a consultant for the system. lmaoshmsfoaidmt

Back