• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Ideas, NEED ADVICE!

ccmoore11

Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0L
Guys, Ive got a 1996 Xplorer 5.0L and Im lookin into making some upgrades and I want your opinions on whether or not I should get stuff... First off I want to get duals, but I will have to take out my spare tire and put it in the back no prob. My question is, are duals really worth it? I already have a single Flowmaster cat-back 3'' exhaust and it sounds good, but I kinda want duals tho. I also want to get the Ford Racing shorty headers but should I? Will it make it sound much louder and add more horsepower and torque? Ive got a MAC Cold Air Intake coming in the mail tomorrow and www.rpmoutlet.com claims it adds 14.2 rear wheel horsepower! That sounds like alot compared to the K&N FIPK which I guess is strange and I hope that its the real numbers and not an exaggeration. Anyhow Im also ordering a Diablochip, but wouldnt I need to get the chip custom programmed since I might get headers? Basically I just want advice as to if I should get duals and headers and if its worth the money. Im really interested in performance upgrades thats why Im lookin into this stuff so please give me your opinions guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing the duals will do for you is change the sound a little (and give you the "look" of a dual exhaust). They will not benifit your performance at all. The Motorsports headers are a good investment, but don't expect any neck snapping power increase. As far as the air filter goes, the place that quoted 14.whatever hp increase is full if it. I have dynoed a vehicle with the stock air cleaned, with a K&N drop-in and without a filter at all, and saw no more that 3hp. difference. As far as the chip goes, I'm not a fan of any of the aftermarket chips, so someone else will have to answer that one for you.

I guess I should clear something up about what i just wrote. As far as the air filter goes, the aftermarket MAC, K&N, etc.. are good investments, since they do help the engine breathe more efficiantly, I was just trying to state that they are not the horsepower unleashers the manufacturers advertise them to be.

The headers would be a great idea after the intake, and opening up the exhaust. You don't necessarily need duals though. Simple cat-back set up from a local muffler shop should be adequate. If you live in the high RPM range, go for the headers, because they will give you some power in the higher RPM range. If you (unfortunately) are like me and do almost exclusively city driving, headers wouldn't do as much good. A throttle body adds response to the gas pedal. Maybe an MAF when it's all said and done.
I like chips.......just haven't gotten around to one yet. I want to get one when all the otehr mods are done. If you're interested in the Diablo, e-mail "blk mk8" and he'll give you an excellent price.
Good luck. There's a tone of threads on modifying your Explorer.
Karl

Would it be stupid to get the Ford Racing headers and keep my single exhaust and would it decrease performance or mess anything up? Would it sound louder on that one exhaust?

if you want somewhere around 10 extra horsepower get the headers. The haders will go great with the intake. As of headers changing the sound of your vehicle it wont happen. The only thing that will change the sound is to get daul. "BUT" you already have 3" exhaust. thats more than enough. If you really want it to sound good get daul 2.5" pipes 40 series flowmaster with dumps. In my opinion thats the best sounding combo for the 5.0l.

Back