Upgrade to 4.10s with 33s? questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade to 4.10s with 33s? questions

ericradford01

Reaction score
City, State
aiken south carolina Charleston SC for school (go cougars)
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer sport
so ive done quite a bit of research...im wondering where is the best place to get a ring and pinion set of gears with the rebuild kit for my explorer sport(newer ones..01) i just need the rear. Im assuming with 33s it will be best to go with 4.10s or 4.11? Another question is how will this affect my mileage..some say good some say bad? ALSO what is the estimated installation time and cost. My cousin works in the parts department and said it was 30 bucks an hour and prolly take 7 hours....that does not sounds reasonable at all? any help would be appreciated ...ERIC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i were going to change gears, change front and rear. Although you would only use 4wd off road and in loose terrain, different gears can cause problems. I wouldn't do it unless you intend to never use 4wd and do the brown wire mod to make sure the control track doesn't kick in, otherwise you could toast the transfer case.

sorry to say but i dont know if you noticed...im only 2wd .. so can you answer any of my questions? im not worried about all that since im 2wd....

go with a 4.10...you get a little better mpg and more power.

He didn't notice you're 2wd, because it doesn't say anywhere...

Anyway, your mileage will still be worse than stock because the weight of the tires, but will be better than stock gears and 33s. 4.10s are the closest you'll get to the stock ratio with 33s. The install shouldn't take 7 hours, but $30/hour is pretty damn cheap so... Dead Link Removed

Ok, you have a valid point. I read your stats, but didn't see anything that indicated one or the other. All of your mods seem to apply to either.

To answer your question, 4.10 can help your mileage depending on what kind of driving you primarily do. If you drive alot on the highway at higher speeds, your mileage will suffer with a gear change. If you drive mostly in town and secondary roads your mileage will be back to what it was before you got bigger tires. You will effectively change your gear ratio back to stock ratio. I looked on ebay a few days ago, and gear sets are not all that expensive from reputibable sellers.

thanks for the help i was assuming the usual tech guys on here that have helped me in the past sometimes know each others cars but i havent been as active lately...but is 155 for the set and 35 for a rebuild kit around average or any other ideas... and also what is the normal install cost for most of yall...i know it will take me going to different places and asking but its good to have a quote from others....sometimes you give a price previously quoted to a shop and they sometime give you the better end for the business..i know it sounds kinda dirty but no need paying to much for the job.

ericradford01 said:
i was assuming the usual tech guys on here that have helped me in the past sometimes know each others cars but i havent been as active lately
LOL the forum has 49,556 users :confused:

i got 33s and 4.88s and my gas milage is pretty much back to stock around town and on the freeway the extra 500 rpm doesnt hurt much. im doin 3100 on the free way. sure does pull pretty good accelerating tho! i plan to upgrade to 35s tho.

4.88's..... :eek: :eek:

Back