Upgrade?

amberone

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hi Folks
Just thinking about intake, Where would one start?
Also I found something call a "throttle body spacer", what does it do beyond the obvious?
I guess I already started modding her, being I don't get parts from the "Dealer" so I might as well keep going.
Looking for good clean reliable power this is a daily driver. Stock is OK but I know life has more to offer.

Any and all input will be appreciated.

Amberone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would recommend an intake that replaces the entire stock intake to the TB such as the K & N or the Mac. I have the Mac and am pleased with its performance as well as looks ( pictured below ).

I have used a TB spacer, for the purpose of increasing mileage, not power. It did help a bit with mileage but did nothing for power. The red part behind the TB in the picture below is the TB spacer. I no longer use it.

Along with an intake, you will need to mod the exhaust with a cat back system with the muffler of your choice. Have a local exhaust shop custom make it for you with welded joints.

Attachments

• DSC00821.JPG
    DSC00821.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 438

The throttle body spacer has beem deemed useless on an EFI equiped motor. Waste of money, a scam.

With your 91, your battery is infront of the air filter.

You got a couple choices for the filter and tubing here. You can remove the entire air box and actually move the battery where the air box used to be. That way you can run aftermarket intake tubbing and filter for a 95 OHV engine.

Or you can use the iFab tubbing. Which is cool, it adds some bling under the hood, but its expensive for just some piping.

It would be cheaper to just use an open filter with the stock tubing and MAF... a 66mm throttle body would make an awesome difference.

For a 1991 with the 4.0 OHV I would recommend a KKM Intake which replaces your stock airbox with an open element filter.
http://www.kustomz.com/cat1.html

Next in line on the early Explorers is the MAF which has I believe a 62 mm bore. I would bump it to a 70 mm. You can find this at www.explorerexpress.com
Here's a pic for comparison
masc_large.jpg

Next in line would be the Throttle body. Stock is 58mm I believe. A BBK is available at 66mm from explorer express as well.

Then a custom cat back exhaust for better flow. I would say 2.25" to 2.5".

Then tie it all together with a custom programmed chip. I am not sure if Doug dose the older style chips, but he can point you in the right direction if not at www.bamachips.com

Defiantly go with the KKM filter and the BBK throttle body first. Get the MAF last.

Doug does do first gen Chips, but he might advise you against it because it’s OBD-1. OBD-I has 4 (?) variables which can be changed, compared to the 30 variables that OBD-II that can be altered for performace. It’s not completely worth the money to get a chip. Sure it stops the pinging with 87 gas, removes the speed limiter and gets you an extra 500 rpms’ but as far as performance you wont get much without major internal engine upgrades. But by all means, it will help. ($299!)

dreamr said:
For a 1991 with the 4.0 OHV I would recommend a KKM Intake which replaces your stock airbox with an open element filter.
http://www.kustomz.com/cat1.html

Next in line on the early Explorers is the MAF which has I believe a 62 mm bore. I would bump it to a 70 mm. You can find this at www.explorerexpress.com
Here's a pic for comparison
masc_large.jpg

Next in line would be the Throttle body. Stock is 58mm I believe. A BBK is available at 66mm from explorer express as well.

Then a custom cat back exhaust for better flow. I would say 2.25" to 2.5".

Then tie it all together with a custom programmed chip. I am not sure if Doug dose the older style chips, but he can point you in the right direction if not at www.bamachips.com
Hey are you sure they sell that new airfilter and MAS for the 91? i was trying to find them but cant finda anything for a 91 x. help plz!

Joegun7 said:
Hey are you sure they sell that new airfilter and MAS for the 91? i was trying to find them but cant finda anything for a 91 x. help plz!

Yes they do. Bascially everything from 91-94 will interchange.

Also try..

www.SummitRacing.com

www.ebay.com

Joegun7 said:

I think Explorer Express also still carries the larger MAF for our trucks:

http://www.explorerexpress.com/

And just remember, at worst, you can simply get the larger MAF housing, and use your existing MAF sensor electronics. You don't HAVE to get a specially calibrated MAF sensor to see gains. The larger tube diameter by itself will help to remove intake restriction.

If it's just the MAF housing you need, then you can use even late model MAF housings (96-01 OHV).

On the other hand, if you get special MAF electronics you will probably want to get a chip that takes this into account.

Heres the plan! (Batman is my hero)

ok cool! so what i've decided i'd like to do lol in this order is: a 66m bbk throttle body from summit then a kkn air filter (if i can find 1, still confused is "kkn" the style of filter or the brand?) lol then that MAF housing from Explore Express?? (i guess) like i've cleaned my MAF and it seams to be working fine. so does that mean i could just get the housing? i've never heard of like any kinda or high performance MAF. so you guys tell me? good bad? where would you recommend me getting these items?

KKM is a company that really just gives you a cheap reusable filter and an adaptor to fit it to your MAF at a high price. You can get the adaptor on eBay and a K&N cone filter for much cheaper than KKM will charge, and a K&N filter is better than the S&B they supply. www.kustomz.com is their site though. Do a KKM (or open-element) filter first. You've already got exhaust so you need to breath more, the cone filter will help. After that do the BBK TB. As for the MAF, I wouldn't do it. I had a Pro-M and noticed nothing, this site's favorite chip tuner (Bamachips) agrees that the Pro-M MAF's are useless. After those couple things I suggest a custom tuned chip with at least a 92 octane program.

Ok so given all this info (thanks again all) i'll do what Huskyfan suggested. everyones telling me i can over all get a better airfilter for a cheaper price and to just make my own MAF adapter. so i guess i'll give that a shot. then pick up the bbk TB. Sounds good all! So e-bay for that MAF adapter? Or should i try making my own? lol my freind has a ranger and used a peice of cardboard for a gasket and mounted a "open element" filter to his stock set up. lol sweet! oh and i contacted Doug about a chip. he was saying it may or may not help to get a chip for my ride. so i don't know. i'll start with the new air filter and the TB and see how i like it. thanks guys!

I suggest buying one. Here is what I've got, then I sold the filter for $15 and bought a big K&N. We used to have a sponsor, Apten, that would custom-burn chips. I bought one and am VERY happy with it on my first gen. I took it off once to see how much of a difference it made and I was surprised how sluggish my X felt without it.

I notice quite a difference with my chip turned off...usually I run a 93 octane performance program.

I think BamaChips can help you. Don't expect as much gain as an OBD-II truck would get though...as Doug has said, there is a limited amount of improvement you can do with a chip for our 1st gen trucks...but still, there is a difference.

Thanks guys! so with that bracket on ebay. if i were to buy a larger MAS down the road would it still fit or would i need a bigger one? Thanks for the link husky. i'll deffenatly look into that! lol chips are confusing. lol like will they give me the power for the money? I'm not like dumb i just don't know if chips are worth it yet?? you tell me? so as of now i'll get that bracket get a bbk TB and look into chips from there? would that be reasonable? thanks all!

Update to upgrade

Well folks I'm back with a update,
This whole thing started out easy enough trying to get the check engine lite to go out with removing the bulb.
Now the lite is out and she breaths muck easier, 2.5 exhaust proflow muffler(I wonder about the stock cat?), BBK 66mm TB, KKM open end air filter, and a Flex-a-Lite Electric Fan (found a bad clucth and broken fan blades).
Much lighter throttle response nice sound....I Like It!!!
I can not believe the difference the fan made is smoothing out the idle I guess balance the key. After a few tanks of fuel I will know if the mpg is improved, I'll keep all informed.

amberone

hey all i'm back. i was outa town. but thanks again for your help! i put in a new clutch right b4 i left. lol it was a learning experience! lol to many darn bolt holding the bell housing! lol but yeah thanks all! goodnight

Back