Upgrades for 4.6 V8 XLT 2003. | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrades for 4.6 V8 XLT 2003.

i have, but it means a new computer and transmission as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

true. That's my only hold back on why I haven't gotten a 4.6 3v...although a 6pd auto would be nice

to be honest, i may drop the extra couple grand and do a stand alone ECM and go with a 6r70 out of an expidition/f150.

ditching the lift idea, and going back to working on the bolt on monster ?

yes, but only because no one has made an ACTUAL lift for our vehicles, i dont feel safe jury riging a couple things to raise it up, if some one wanted to make a full structure lift that was engineered then id be game. And ive got speed in my blood, ive got to haul ass or im not happy. I have a tatoo on my back that says high speed low drag for christ's sake.

your X makes me sad, because if only i could have found a V8 X in my area. I could have a beast like you !

danny, when i do my 5.4 swap ill ship my 4.6L to you :p No man should ever be deprived of his god given right to have 8 or more cylenders!!

No man should ever be deprived of his god given right to have 8 or more cylenders!!
:thumbsup:
Zero....try telling that to my brother. He's way too confident in his V6 Mustang....says he's got a better motor and more powerful motor than the 4.6L
And he's got some wierd thing in his head about how if you tune his V6 motor properly (Essex 3.8L [Pushrod]) he'll get 240+Hp out of it. :rolleyes: I've researched it, don't know where he came up with this idea.

:thumbsup:
Zero....try telling that to my brother. He's way too confident in his V6 Mustang....says he's got a better motor and more powerful motor than the 4.6L
And he's got some wierd thing in his head about how if you tune his V6 motor properly (Essex 3.8L [Pushrod]) he'll get 240+Hp out of it. :rolleyes: I've researched it, don't know where he came up with this idea.

Tell your brother that he needs to lay off the powerful hallucinagenics. He is very wrong on a few points. The Ford 3.8 V6's can hold some power in built form and can withstand allot of boost but in N/A non-built form they are completely gutless. They could not hold a candle to a 4.0 SOHC V6 let alone the 4.6 SOHC V8, whether in stock or modded form. Tell him to post in here if he wants further education on that...

His college instructor told him the tune bit...I think if it was true I'd see it posted on every mustang forum out there.
He's kind of f****** his mustang over. It has a serious coolant leak, leaks oil out of LH side valve cover, the interior was nice, but now it has an odor and is trashy, the engine knocks, the A/C does not work anymore, and it leaks tranny fluid. He doesn't even know if that engine is modded, but says its cammed...
As far as I'm concerned that mustang only has a fancy paint job, CAI and exhaust...who would do a cam without exhaust???

Back to topic...maybe he should throw a post or two up here, gain some real knowledge. Before he goes running his mouth and has a 4.6L own him...I'm proud of my 4.0L, but know its got a long way before it could run with the 4.6L guys...especially the 4th gen 4.6L's....

sounds like crazy to me. maybe if he tuned it to run off of hopes and dreams? or liquide dynamite? im thinking forced induction and built internals is a must for such an idea. 240 horses dont come easy. im looking at like 15+ grand for it. nothing wrong with the 4.0! they tend to run for YEARS with next to no maint, and their low end torque makes explorers suprisingly nimble. i wouldnt be suprsied if you could beat me to 20-30 mph.

His college instructor told him the tune bit...I think if it was true I'd see it posted on every mustang forum out there.
He's kind of f****** his mustang over. It has a serious coolant leak, leaks oil out of LH side valve cover, the interior was nice, but now it has an odor and is trashy, the engine knocks, the A/C does not work anymore, and it leaks tranny fluid. He doesn't even know if that engine is modded, but says its cammed...
As far as I'm concerned that mustang only has a fancy paint job, CAI and exhaust...who would do a cam without exhaust???

Back to topic...maybe he should throw a post or two up here, gain some real knowledge. Before he goes running his mouth and has a 4.6L own him...I'm proud of my 4.0L, but know its got a long way before it could run with the 4.6L guys...especially the 4th gen 4.6L's....

His college instructor is either an idiot who speaks from his behind or your brother really misunderstood him. Those 3.8 V6's are usually rated at 180-190hp. I will give benefit of the doubt and assume 190hp in his case. So that would be an additional 50hp from JUST a custom tune. While 50hp is attainable from a custom tune it will only be on either a factory forced induction vehicle or a diesel vehicle. Most N/A vehicles, performance or not will usually gain anywhere between 5-15rwhp which translates into 6-18hp. A VEEEERY few N/A cars have gotten 40-50hp from just a tune, cars with that much slop in the stock tune are VERY VERY few and far between and I can tell you (your brother) that the 3.8 V6 in the SN-95 Mustangs is not one of them.

sounds like crazy to me. maybe if he tuned it to run off of hopes and dreams? or liquide dynamite? im thinking forced induction and built internals is a must for such an idea. 240 horses dont come easy. im looking at like 15+ grand for it. nothing wrong with the 4.0! they tend to run for YEARS with next to no maint, and their low end torque makes explorers suprisingly nimble. i wouldnt be suprsied if you could beat me to 20-30 mph.

15 grand to get 240rwhp out of your truck in total or to add an additional 240rwhp to what you already have?

YES YES YES! Glad to hear you're staying low and not getting high...

You really need to take your ride to the track before you make a motor swap. Went to the track on 11/20/2010 and I ran 15.1 with only the 2nd/3rd row seats out, spare, on 20's and the only mods were tune/exhaust. Not sure if you saw the vids in the 3rd gen pics section, but I can direct you to them if you'd like. Paid the Ex off the week before and now it's time to save!

And Rocket, MY HERO!!! Get the damn Ex shipped to where ever you are and finish it!!! I'm tempted to drive to where it's at, bring it home and finish it myself!!!

Only reason I'd ever race your Ex is to see how fast yours is. I've watched your Videos and holy sh*t that is one fast explorer.

His college instructor is either an idiot who speaks from his behind or your brother really misunderstood him. Those 3.8 V6's are usually rated at 180-190hp. I will give benefit of the doubt and assume 190hp in his case. So that would be an additional 50hp from JUST a custom tune. While 50hp is attainable from a custom tune it will only be on either a factory forced induction vehicle or a diesel vehicle. Most N/A vehicles, performance or not will usually gain anywhere between 5-15rwhp which translates into 6-18hp. A VEEEERY few N/A cars have gotten 40-50hp from just a tune, cars with that much slop in the stock tune are VERY VERY few and far between and I can tell you (your brother) that the 3.8 V6 in the SN-95 Mustangs is not one of them.
I just realized that this is your explorer? Correct? I've been jealous ever since I looked at the car domain :p:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/235951/2003-ford-explorer

Awesome...I read through that and thought I saw the owner of that Ex here, but never ran into em until now.

Rocket - To get another 240 horses. I didnt quiet comprehend what haris was saying at first, i though he meant his brother was hoping to GAIN 240 horses out of a tune, rather than the 50 that seems to be the case.

NHarris - rocket is one of the origional crazy SOB's hes beat a late GTO down the strip in his explorer, check NBX vs GTO on google. good stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should have PIT manuevered his piece of junk LS2 vauxhall off the road when he tried to get around you, i understand that the NHRA has a special set of rules when dealing with these things :)

Back