Upgrades for 4.6 V8 XLT 2003. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrades for 4.6 V8 XLT 2003.

Hey Rocket could we get a link to some of your engine bay pics you've had during your various stages
Scotty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Rocket could we get a link to some of your engine bay pics you've had during your various stages
Scotty

I do not have any pictures of the inital install of the Kenne Bell (phase 1), I only have the phase 2 pics which involved doing the built engine transmission swap, and on and on and on... I am currently in my phase 3 build but do not have any pictures. The phase 2 pictures are quite nice so they should give you a little something to look at. One day I might take some phase 3 build pics and post them. We will see...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I decided to post these pictures in this thread for two reasons. I figure they may be able to serve as a good visual aide for those interested in doing projects like this and of course they were requested. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think I am hijacking Zero's thread.

all i can say is THAT IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

im still fighting with the bids on ebay so far, but if that falls through im going to go ahead and look for a serries 4 from a dealer... so i should handle 8-10 psi pretty safely at almost 100K miles? thats good to hear. I just picked up a set of roller rockers(1.6, self adjusting), a 70MM BBK throttle body, a GMS lower plenum(will have to go when i go FI i assume), and a typhoon manifold(stripped a brass thread piece out of my stocker and couldnt get my coil to stay put so...). Im thinking about going to a set of patriot heads that will be less likely to shoot plugs as well as improveing HP.

all i can say is THAT IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

im still fighting with the bids on ebay so far, but if that falls through im going to go ahead and look for a serries 4 from a dealer... so i should handle 8-10 psi pretty safely at almost 100K miles? thats good to hear. I just picked up a set of roller rockers(1.6, self adjusting), a 70MM BBK throttle body, a GMS lower plenum(will have to go when i go FI i assume), and a typhoon manifold(stripped a brass thread piece out of my stocker and couldnt get my coil to stay put so...). Im thinking about going to a set of patriot heads that will be less likely to shoot plugs as well as improveing HP.

If you do the blower and still want more power then do blower cams. After that do the ported heads if you still want more. Don't do the heads first because they cost one hell of allot more than the cams, and do not net as much power in a "mild-ish" (500rwhp-) combo. Of course by the time you are messing with heads and cams I am assuming the shortblock will have been built to survive the power by then.

well

well im discovering that the mustang engine and the explorer engine have a LOT of realy small differences. ive been having a real ***** of a time getting my new plenum to fit, it lacks both the hole for the break vacume line(for witch i have created one), and a small coolent plumbing piece that goes from infront of the thermostat housing to a neck on the stock plenum, and back out and to a small pipe system on the back of the engine...is that whole piece on the plenum realy needed? or can i just splice the two pipes togeather and call it a day?. I also may have to drill my new manifold because of that small plumbing system, the new system lacks the holes for that system. Ill post some pictures of the plumbing system if that would be a help.

ive decided to hold off on supercharging my rig because of other finacial needs at the moment, so ill keep you posted on that end. but im going to continue to go ahead and drop other things on.

arg

ill have some pics up today..

im pretty sure its just supposed to cool the plenum as its right next to the EGR valve. but it could also be part of the heater or air conditioning system ive been told. anybody have anything?

IMG_0078.jpg

and

IMG_0079.jpg

Im pointing at the piece in this picture, any one know whats up?

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

and thats just my baby ^.^

Awesome looking X

The cracked rear panel is a gigantic piss-off though... I should know :(

lol

indeed...damn design flaws!!!!!

but not to hijack, Does anyone know what that peice does?

but not to hijack, Does anyone know what that peice does?

Nothing... it is just a piece of plastic. However, supposedly when peeling that cracked piece off, the glass above tends to explode... which is never a good sign.

I have been debating whether to attempt to replace it myself.. as I can get the plastic panel for about $90.

lol

lol not that back panell silly, the peice i am pointing at in the two first pictures.

there should be no coolant running through those plenums, I haven't ever seen a 4.6L that does, that should be a vacuum line more likely to the brake booster, did you follow it to the other end of the hose?

yes i did, and i actualy already had to modify the mustang plenum i bought FOR the break booster line(which is the black metalic pipe above that pice). this IS coolant(i know because it spilled all over my engine when i took them off..). its just a water jacket and the line leads back down behind the engine and heads back to other plumbing pipes., and im sure it will work with out it, im just kinda curious as to what its for.

yes i did, and i actualy already had to modify the mustang plenum i bought FOR the break booster line(which is the black metalic pipe above that pice). this IS coolant(i know because it spilled all over my engine when i took them off..). its just a water jacket and the line leads back down behind the engine and heads back to other plumbing pipes., and im sure it will work with out it, im just kinda curious as to what its for.

Upper plenum pre-heat/EGR valve coolant hose. You will be fine to remove it if you plan to remove EGR too.

God its been soooo long since I seen a stocker 03 V8 intake manifold that I forgot those even had that on them.

Wierd they must have aborted that one in most models, my 02 doesn't have it & never seen it on a mustang before...you should be fine bypassing it, I don't know of any aftermarket plenums that allow for it, atleast non that I've ever seen.

!!

well i went ahead and spliced the pipes, and the engine seems happy enough. I have also sucsessfuly added my new plenum into the engine witch required some mods for the brake booster, and i had to kill the mounting braket for the engine dress-up cowl.(ill upload some pics if requested). I dont think ill need to have that egr system removed for awhile yet (i still have to pass IM's atm untill i get myself another set of wheels to ride while this one is cleared for seasonal only use. will the EGR getting hot be a problem ontop of my new manifold(alum)? I have thought of a few solutions if the EGR realy gets that hot.

well i went ahead and spliced the pipes, and the engine seems happy enough. I have also sucsessfuly added my new plenum into the engine witch required some mods for the brake booster, and i had to kill the mounting braket for the engine dress-up cowl.(ill upload some pics if requested). I dont think ill need to have that egr system removed for awhile yet (i still have to pass IM's atm untill i get myself another set of wheels to ride while this one is cleared for seasonal only use. will the EGR getting hot be a problem ontop of my new manifold(alum)? I have thought of a few solutions if the EGR realy gets that hot.

Never had a problem with any of them on any other 4.6, you should be okay, not having 200degree coolant running through you plenum should help keep you intake air going in alittle cooler also.

!!!

well its been running pretty good and ive decided to go ahead and proceed with my next project!!! installing the roller rockers and pulleys...and like usual i have some Q's that need A's. so here we go. Are any of the pullys press fit? will i need a pulley puller? and am i going to need to pick up a valve spring compresser and spacer? and how about valve adusting? my chiltons doesnt say a peep.

Nothing... it is just a piece of plastic. However, supposedly when peeling that cracked piece off, the glass above tends to explode... which is never a good sign.

I have been debating whether to attempt to replace it myself.. as I can get the plastic panel for about $90.

Kovalchuk - don't suppose you'd like to buy me one for $90 and send it to Oz? I will of course pay in advance (via Paypal or something)? I am having a hard time finding a non-cracked one down under!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone played with these eibach anti-roll sway bar kits yet? im just wondering how the hell they get them to work on the AWIS systems...will my wheels no longer to travel independently? How much of an improvement can i expect?

Back