• Register Today It's free!

upgrading the stock jbl

94Matt

Reaction score
City, State
Thompson's Stn, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mounty 4.6 AWD
I have a 94 xlt with the jbl speakers. I have been looking at the mtx "stealth box" a.k.a. thunderform and was wondering if it would be worth the price. It comes with a 100 w amp and a mtx 6000 series speaker... I dont want to lose the cargo room. Also what type of door speakers should i look into? I am wanting good bass with nice highs.... below is the link to the thunderform

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-C1xSJLTV0HQ/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=530&I=236FEX10A&o=M&a=1

I personally don't care for MTX, I have one of their amps now, and it works, but.. to me their subs just aren't up to the standard.

I wouldn't normally recommned JL, but, you can get a JL "stealthbox" that fits where the JBL sub fits and can hold up to a 10w6 I beleive, and from what I've heard, people say its a very good sub.

as far as highs and mids, theres always the expensive MBquart Qseries, but I've been told the IDQ components (dead links) are very nice as well.

I dont think that the JL stealthbox will fit a 10w6 or a 10w3. There was an earlier thread on this board about a stealthbox group purchase, and according to JL the stealthbox will not fit either of those two subs.

heh, strange that the JL box won't fit JL subs isn't it? oh well, I don't care much for JL eithre, but I care for mtx half as much, from my experience, 2 MTX 12s isn't as loud as 1 12w0..

to get really really high end sound, you are either going to have to make your own stealth box (someone on this forum has done this) or sacrifice alitle hatch space for a sub and a box.. you'd be suprised how little space you can fit a sub into these days tho, I think its really worth the space loss to get a box external from the wall like that.

Back