• Register Today It's free!

Upper Radiator Hose Problem

Camaro Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I was being lazy a few weeks ago and had a shop replace the water pump on my '99 AWD Exlporer. A few days ago the upper radiator hose which was replaced with the pump lets go. The air intake hose which lays on top of the radiator hose had rubbed a hole through the radiator hose. I replaced the hose and did my best to eliminate the point where the two hoses were rubbing. Last night the week old upper hose has a hole in the same spot as a result of the two hoses rubbing. Is there a trick to installing these two so they don't rub? I did some searching on the forum but couldn't find anything close.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your motor mounts, it's possible your engine is lifting up under load causing the two to come into contact with each other.

Thanks for the thought. The mounts seem to be fine.

After taking some time on fitment and trimming both ends of the upper hose I have something that clears the intake hose. I'm assuming no rub, no hole, equals no leak. I also replaced the bypass hose which was original equipment and seemed to be leaking as well. It's runs really hot now which is likely the result of air in the system so its back to searching the tech forum for me.

I have a 2000 4.0L SOHC. For me, it was one of the AC hoses running to/from the radiator that rubbed against the upper radiator hose. Tried to find a replacement hose that's shaped correctly... looked at 4 brands. None were shaped like the original hose. I guess I'll cut apiece of the old hose and put it between the new upper hose and the AC hose that's rubbing against it.

UPDATE -- I looked at several brands of replacement hoses (upper radiator hose) and none of them had the correct shape (such that they would not rub against other hoses/lines). Thus, I had no choice but to buy a Motorcraft hose from Ford. Expensive... $34.00.

Twist the hose at one end to position the bend where you want. Then clamp it down. Or cut a piece off the ruined hose and rubber-glue it to the new one to prevent chafing.

Back