• Register Today It's free!

Urgent help needed....

scott.kregar

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
So my Wife's 94 Explorer 4.0 SOHC decided it no longer liked it's serpentine tensioner and I am guessing broke the bolt. What is required in order to get the old unit out and new one installed? Does anyone have a favorite parts place that has them other than the Ford Dealer? Pic included that shows the damage.....

broken.jpg

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

They didn't make a 4.0L SOHC in 1994. The bolt doesn't break just the housing. You will need just a tensioner and if the belt is damaged replace it. That piece will probably just come off and then unbolt what is left.

I think I have a similar issue to this coming to light. There is an ungodly Xena warrior princess battle-cry sequel coming from the bottom of my engine, I'm inclined to think it's from the "crankshaft pulley?" I have a 92 with the 4.0L.
Is this what likely to happen when that breaks? anyone know how easy it is to change said pulley? (Its the VERY bottom big one for me, I don't know if its actually called the crankshaft pulley, Its center of the engine block at the bottom, so I'm thinking it attached. the battle-cry squeal is prominent at idle, and goes quieter as I gain power/RPM (its heard still though)

Back