Used motor maintenance recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Used motor maintenance recommendations

gaw

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' XLT
I just purchased and had installed (local garage shop) a used 4.0L V6 motor with 80k miles in my 2003 Explorer. My other one died (timing chain failure) with 133k miles on it. I'm wondering what recommendations everyone has about maintenance on this motor since I really don't know how it was treated before I purchased it. For example, should I run an engine cleaner? Go full synthetic oil? Other ideas of maintenance I should be aware of with a used motor? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now I'm getting a check engine light

Now the check engine light has come on...the Explorer is not exhibiting any hesitation or rough idle, etc. although it does run about 900 rpm when in drive at a stop light. I had the check engine light read at Autozone and I am receiving the p0171 and p0174 codes. I cleaned the MAF and also have not heard any whistling associated with an intake manifold leak...any other ideas?

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1) : The adaptive fuel strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

Causes:

Fuel System.
Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, faulty).
Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking).
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when the canister is clean).
Fuel supply line restricted.
Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).

Air Induction System.

Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum leaks.
PCV system (leak or valve stuck open)
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
Air induction turbulence due to incorrect air filter.

Exhaust System.

Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets)

systEGR em.

Vacuum hose disconnected on EGR System Module (ESM) applications
EGR valve tube/gasket leak
EVR solenoid vacuum leak

Secondary Air Injection.

Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).

Air Measurement System.
MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, or faulty)

It hard to narrow it down without the freeze frame data from the scanner, but these are very easy checks

Thanks for the reply. I'm not an experienced mechanic, so the possible list that you mentioned is a little overwhelming. Suggestions where to start? I really don't want to go to the Ford house if I don't have to...thanks again...

I have been researching this for a while on different threads on this site...My explorer is now starting to miss a little on idle...I also heard that too much oil can cause the p0171 and p0174. I checked the oil and it is a little over the second hole on the dipstick. Any thoughts that this could be it? I still haven't had time to take it somewhere to smoke it for an intake manifold leak.

The intake manifold gaskets were bad. Replaced them and the cel and codes are gone.

Back