Using an Explorer rim on a ST -- some say can't? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using an Explorer rim on a ST -- some say can't?

Note:

Stock 4 Door Explorer 17" Wheel: 245/65-17 Tire, 17"x7.5"x44mm offset
Stock Sport Trac 16" Wheel: 255/70-16 Tire, 16"x7"x 12mm offset

The offset is the biggest issue. That 32mm difference is over an inch that the 3rd gen wheels will fit inboard compared to the older wheels.

I have a spare under my truck that I've never used, but it is a 3rd gen wheel that I chose because it looks a lot like my aftermarket 18's. I tried it on the truck when I got the 275/60/17 tire on it, and it could be used temporarily. But I wouldn't drive it much, it was super close on the front BJ, and that might have been with my 1/4" spacers also. That was 2006, and now it's a spare part to get rid of.

PICT1185.JPG

Observation:
In looking at early Sport Trac's for sale, I see that many of them have the Explorer type rolling teardrop-style wheels on them. I doubt very much that a lot of owner's have made this swap, so I have to believe this style of wheel was a factory option and therefore fit just fine on the earlier ST. I can't say about third gen Explorer wheels.

Just 2 examples:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5761836239.html

http://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/5718425761.html

Right, but those aren't what the OP was wanting to put on his ST. He was wanting to use 3rd Gen Explorer wheels which have a totally different offset. The teardrop wheels on the STs were 16", as were some of the later 2nd Gen Explorers. Those will swap with no problems because they're the same wheel, but I doubt the earlier 15" teardrop wheels will clear the front brakes on the STs.

My no options '02 Sport Trac originally had the teardrop wheels, and they were on it in the pics the used car lot I bought it from posted online, but had the American Racing wheels on it by the time I bought it.

Interesting tidbit - what we call the teardrop wheels, Ford called 5-spoke cast aluminum. They were standard on Value and Choice models (later called XL & XLS ?) and came with the 235/70/16 tires. What we would call 5 spoke wheels, Ford called "Bright Cast Aluminum", and came with the 255/70/16 tires. Standard on Premium(XLT), and optional on Choice(XLS?) with the Premium Sport Group. This is according to the 2002 "No Boundaries" brochure and other sales lit. Neither wheel was offered on 4 door 2002 Explorers.

I have swapped my wheels and both look great. I used the 2" wheel spacers on the ST with 17" 3rd gen wheels and 265/70-17 all terrains. I have had lots of compliments and few people offering $ wanting to buy my truck.

Back