Using an Explorer rim on a ST -- some say can't? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using an Explorer rim on a ST -- some say can't?

cscmc1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Is there any reason I can't use this stock Explorer rim (from a 2002, as I recall) on my '01 ST?

http://www.originalwheels.com/ford-wheels/images/ford-explorer-rims-3455.jpg

Some of the parts sources I am looking at say "exc Sport Trac" in the description; perhaps they mean they were simply not sold originally offered on the ST? One yard claimed they won't fit, but perhaps they just saw that note and are erring on the side of caution (?).

I can't imagine why it wouldn't fit, unless perhaps the center bore is too small. Can anyone shed light on this one for me? Many thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own both vehicles. I've never tried switching the wheels around, but I see no reason that they wouldn't be interchangeable. There are a lot of parts on the ST that are unique to the ST though.

BTW, I installed a complete Explorer 4-dr rear axle assembly in my ST and they were identical in every way except the drum vs disk rear brake parts.

I own both vehicles. I've never tried switching the wheels around, but I see no reason that they wouldn't be interchangeable. There are a lot of parts on the ST that are unique to the ST though.

Thank you -- I am hoping that they are simply not original to the ST (as in not offered by the factory), but that they'll fit. I can buy a set very reasonably, and I like the style.

I agree that trying them on is best. According to AutoZone the ST and Explorer caliper part numbers are the same... ?

91-01 wheels ( 16") will work on your trac, however the 2002-2005 explorer wheels have improper back spacing. Unless the wheel was off a 2002 sport (2 door) , It might physically fit on, but won't fit right.

Thank you. In other words, the distance between the wheels will change, and that will change handling and ride, correct? They will fit, but might widen or narrow the wheel track? Thanks again!

BTW, mine is a Job 2, if that matters.

Thank you. In other words, the distance between the wheels will change, and that will change handling and ride, correct? They will fit, but might widen or narrow the wheel track? Thanks again!

BTW, mine is a Job 2, if that matters.

A little wider stance would not be a bad thing.

Pretty sure they'll tuck under the truck more and won't look right at all. I've seen a 2nd gen Ex with the later wheels (don't remember if it was these you're looking at) and it looked like it should tip over.

Pretty sure they'll tuck under the truck more and won't look right at all. I've seen a 2nd gen Ex with the later wheels (don't remember if it was these you're looking at) and it looked like it should tip over.

The Explorer wheels have a deeper dish (at least through the 2001's) than the 01 ST, so that should make the tires stick out a bit more. No?

That's what I am thinking; I looked up wheel track for the ST versus the 4 door Explorer, and it looks like they'll tuck about 1" further in, if I am not mistaken. I'm not sure what to make of that... a narrower track isn't ideal, but 1" per side might not be too evident. Hmmmm...

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

The Explorer wheels have a deeper dish (at least through the 2001's) than the 01 ST, so that should make the tires stick out a bit more. No?

I need to check backspacing of the stock ST rims vs the ones from the 02/03 Explorers. The later ones look to be more shallow, which makes me thing they'll tuck under the fender more. It may just be an illusion, though.

From his opening post - "Is there any reason I can't use this stock Explorer rim (from a 2002, as I recall) on my '01 ST?"

I Thought so also.

Be careful with this. Too far in and the tire will rub the upper ball joint. Might also contact the sway bar while turning.

Excellent points, friends. Another option I have is to use the 5x5 aftermarket Jeep rims I have (16x8, 0 offset). Any thoughts on the use of adapters? I need to check stud length, but suspect 1.25" adapters might just work. I know folks caution about bearing wear with adapters, but are there other concerns to consider? This would actually be an ideal scenario as the rims are clean & ready to use with tires mounted and balanced. I had shied away from adapters previously, but it appears plenty of folks are safely running them.

Thoughts? Thanks again!

I have an 04 4 door and a 03 ST. The ST wheel fits the 04 but sticks out 1" further the 04 wheel requires a 1.25" wheel spacer or it won't fit. The back spacing is different causing the issue.

I have an 04 4 door and a 03 ST. The ST wheel fits the 04 but sticks out 1" further the 04 wheel requires a 1.25" wheel spacer or it won't fit. The back spacing is different causing the issue.

Thank you! Did you have to trim the wheel studs to use the 1.25" spacer?

I have not permanently swapped them but did all the math, and did some trial fitment last week. Used www.willtheyfit.com and has an easy to use calculator:

Note:

Stock 4 Door Explorer 17" Wheel: 245/65-17 Tire, 17"x7.5"x44mm offset
Stock Sport Trac 16" Wheel: 255/70-16 Tire, 16"x7"x 12mm offset

The wheel sizes are cast into the inside spokes of the wheel. I know info on the web varies greatly and wanted to be 100% sure on size.

The website shows by putting on the 4 door wheel/tire on the Sport Trac, the inside of the wheel will be 38.4mm (1.51") closer to the inside and 25.7mm (1.01") on the outside. Note: this is wheel only (not factoring in tire size)

So a 1.25" will work as there is room on the inside and look centered or a 1.5" will work as well and provide stock inside clearance but the wheels will poke out a little more than original. Either should work fine. The 1.5" would provide better lug nut/stud issues. I will be using a 2" for looks (see more info below). FYI: Make sure you by hubcentric wheel spacers.

My plan is as follows: My 03 ST I purchased 2 months ago and has brand new Michelins LTXs on 16" wheels. I want to put larger tires on my ST and do a mild lift ~2". My 04 Explorer has 17" wheels and needed to replace the tires so I am using those rims (which i personally like alot). I put Cooper Discover ATP 265\70-17 on the 4 door 17" wheels. So far I like them and they look good. I want the wheels to stick out a bit more so the wheels look mildly pushed out so I am going with a 2" wheel spacer. Unfortunately, I have to remove my Aviator front brakes to put the 16" wheels on, but prevents wasting the $1K on the set of Michelins. Once they wear out I will put the big breaks back on.

Check out my Flickr page for some photos.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back