Using same box for different subs - is this OK? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using same box for different subs - is this OK?

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
I have two 12 inch Kicker subs now, they're the older Kicker Comps I THINK, but I'm not sure because I bought them with the box and everything and it didn't come with detailed instructions. My question is, I'm thinking about buying a new set of 12 inch Kicker Comp VRs and I was wondering if I could use the same box that I have now without having any airspace problems. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are the dimensions of the box (including the thickness of the walls), and what are the specs of the new subs (fs, Qts, and VAS)?

Ok, I went out and took some measurements of the box

Length - 29 inches
Height - 15 inches
Depth - 12 inches
Board thinkness - little less than 3/4 of an inch

The box is kind of sloped on the ends, it kind of looks like this when looking at one of the sides: /_\ , but it only has a slight slope.

I want to replace my current subs with Dead Link Removed

If they do fit, I plan on getting these subs and another Kicker ZR240 amp and running each sub off of one of the ZR240's.

that enclosure size should be fine. but since it is made out of 5/8 PB instead of 3/4 MDF, it might flex a little. and the sound quality will suffer as a result. if you make or buy another enclosure, i recommed making it larger and building it out of MDF. you'll get much deeper bass and better sound quality with those subs in a larger and stronger enclosure.

I don't think I have ply or particle board, but I could be wrong. If it's worth noting, there's also a partition in the center of the box that seperates the two subs.

well that's good. it helps to brace it so it wont flex too much.

like i said, that box will work fine with the comp VR subs. but a larger box will produce deeper bass and will get much louder. each sub is only getting a little over 1 cuft of airspace. kicker recommends anywhere from 1 cuft to about 4 cuft per woofer.

How would 3 Kicker Comp VR's sound in this box:

Triple Angle Enclosure

Obviously, it would be considerably more to buy three of those subs plus this box. I'm not really sure what to do yet. Also, if I go with three subs, I'll have to get another amp too, which would mean my ZR240 would be running one sub, and I would have to get a stronger 2 channel amp to run the other two and try to get equal outputs on each sub.

Decisions decisicions :hammer:

With the triple box, there are no dividers separating the subs, so you might get crosstalk and cancelation. Get a box with 3 separate chambers, 1 for each sub.

if all the subs are wired mono, then cancellation wont occur. they will act as one large subwoofer. seperate chambers would make it stronger though.

Back