V6 Reliability

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
Hello,

My wife and I are interested in picking up a 4th gen Explorer and while we were initially looking more at the V6, from reading a bunch it sounds like the V8 may be the better option due to increased power, similar MPG etc.

But, there are ten V6 models for every V8 model in the area. We had found a 2008 V6 to go and look at, but reading all the issues with timing chains and potential transmission problems on the V6 have me rethinking things. Is the V6 really as prone to timing chain/transmission problems as it appears? I can likely work on the timing chain problem myself (with family help), but the transmission is likely out of my league.

Ultimately I think we would be happy with the V6, but if it really is that much worse than the V8 then I will hold out for the right V8 to come along.

Overall how are the Explorers for reliability and ease of use to DIY on? We have a 2000 F150 with the V8 that is pretty straight forward to work on, and at 235,000 miles has been overall very reliable (the biggest issue was that the transmission finally gave up earlier this year and had to be replaced). I am hoping for a similar kind of experience with an Explorer, we are hoping to pick up a 2008 or 2009, and plan to keep it for several years.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to do any towing, I would hold out for a V8. By 2008 ish, they had remedied the problem with the spark plugs and the 6 speed transmissions are apparently pretty stellar.

Also, a few years down the line, the V8's would have better resale considering that they were the last of body on frame vehicles. These new unibodies with their V6's, do not make as good a tow vehicle.

To be honest I don't know that we would be doing any towing with it, if anything it would be very minimal (something like bringing home a lawn tractor) any bigger towing needs I have access to an F350 Superduty.

We are leaning towards holding out for a V8, but if the V6 is not as bad as it first seems then may go that route due to availability. I did check out the Mercury Mountaineer as well, figuring there may be more V8's, but do not like the front end.

By the mid 2000's the SOHC timing chain guide issue has been fixed (I think it was 2002 when they fixed it, but don't quote me on that).

For example, our 2006 mustang which has the same sohc they put in the explorer now has 263k miles on it and the motor/timing chain is still just as quiet as it has always been..

Now, for the transmissions, I can't answer that as I know nothing about the trans in the later explorers...

~Mark

To be honest I don't know that we would be doing any towing with it, if anything it would be very minimal (something like bringing home a lawn tractor) any bigger towing needs I have access to an F350 Superduty.

We are leaning towards holding out for a V8, but if the V6 is not as bad as it first seems then may go that route due to availability. I did check out the Mercury Mountaineer as well, figuring there may be more V8's, but do not like the front end.

Also, as far as I know, all Mountaniers are full time AWD. Personally, I do not like that option. Even the V8 Explorers are partial AWD. They run in ' 4x4 Auto' mode,ie, where about 5% of the power is always available to the front wheels if the rear wheels start to slip. Otherwise, Explorers have a full on 4x4 mode.

I am not sure what the 5 sp V6 trans is all about.

I just picked up my 2006 V8 before a pre-Christmas snow storm. I was not aware of it's 4x4 Auto mode and I wondered why I was still moving up the road when everyone else was slipping and sliding. I didn't even have to put it in the 4x4 mode.

Thanks both, I will do some more research on the transmission. It was on a thread here that I had read about them being problematic, but might have just been a case of one person having a problem.

Keep in mind any potential issues you find online are only a small percentage of owners. Most Explorers with V6 engines and the 5 speed Transmission have experienced little if any issues. All cars have some issue or need repairs! I own a 2008 XLT with the V6 and 5 speed Transmission and I would buy another today if I needed it! Do your research and test drive as many as you can and buy for the one you like!

Also, some people who buy the V6 push it hard trying to squeeze performance out of it and any vehicle engine that is pushed hard will have more problems than one that is driven conservatively. I maintain mine well and try not to drive it too hard. That doesn't mean I baby it, but I try to keep the RPM under 3k and only get into the throttle if an emergency calls for it. I have 137k and counting without major issues.

Try to find one that you know has been well maintained.

We took a quick look at a 2007 V6 yesterday, the outside was nice enough, but it was clearly a smokers vehicle and the smell was unbearable. Coupled with stains and all seats being badly cracked we passed.

Is there a thread on here with what typical issues to look for when checking out Explorers for sale? On another forum I am a member of there is a sticky listing common issues and what to look for, is there something similar here?

One thing you can look for is how the second row seats fold down. If it doesn't have third row seating the second row seats wont fold down flat and stick up at an angle. This was a deal breaker for me, so I only considered Explorers with third row seating

One thing you can look for is how the second row seats fold down. If it doesn't have third row seating the second row seats wont fold down flat and stick up at an angle. This was a deal breaker for me, so I only considered Explorers with third row seating

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when I discovered that with my newly purchased 2006 LTD. But mine has third row power seating and buckets, with console, in the second row. That makes it kind of hard to make a bed out of it.

Also, another negative is that the carpet covered seat backs on the third row seats are not solid. This means that you could easily poke thru the carpet into the backing of the seats, when they are folded flat.

Well, we found one and bought it yesterday. It is a 2008 Limited with the V8 and looks to be pretty loaded, it's a 1 owner car with 86k miles on it and a good deal of maintenance showing up on the Carfax. We have a couple minor issues with it, one of the running boards appears to not retract fully and we are also having the problem with the seat moving while driving (appears to be the ignition switch and a relatively easy fix).

The 2 biggest things I am kicking myself for though are that I did not notice that all 4 tires have cracks in them, not major cracks, but enough that I want to replace them ASAP since my wife and children will be riding in it, and second I let myself get talked into a 4 year warranty which on the face of Google reviews may not be worth the paper it was printed on. Hoping I can cancel the warranty, but am guessing I may be stuck with it.

I recently got my V6 explorer and I love it. However if I could choose between the V6 and V8 I wouldn´t hesitate and get the V8. Sadly in my country we only have the V6 so it isn´t an option to me.
Good luck man, enjoy the truck!

I have owned a 1992 Explorer, 1992 Ranger, 1995 Explorer, 2003 Explorer, and 2008 Explorer with the 4.0 (currently have the 08).

I know they're slightly different from one another but I've never had any problems. Never any leaks, ticks, knocks, noises, etc.

My ranger had 200k, 1992 expo 200k, 1995 explorer 265k when it got totaled and it worked great, and my 2003 I just sold has 150k sounds brand new,and my 2008 has 80k and sounds A1.

I would choose a V8 if you don't plan on towing a lot, it's a long tried and true block. They've worked out the kinks.

If you manage to screw one up, it's your fault for poor maintenance. And even still that should take a long time of horrendous maintenance to kill this 4.0

I have owned a 1992 Explorer, 1992 Ranger, 1995 Explorer, 2003 Explorer, and 2008 Explorer with the 4.0 (currently have the 08).

I know they're slightly different from one another but I've never had any problems. Never any leaks, ticks, knocks, noises, etc.

My ranger had 200k, 1992 expo 200k, 1995 explorer 265k when it got totaled and it worked great, and my 2003 I just sold has 150k sounds brand new,and my 2008 has 80k and sounds A1.

I would choose a V8 if you don't plan on towing a lot, it's a long tried and true block. They've worked out the kinks.

If you manage to screw one up, it's your fault for poor maintenance. And even still that should take a long time of horrendous maintenance to kill this 4.0

I agree....the 4.0 is a champ. Just keep on top of fluids & hoses, and it'll last forever. I don't agree with Ford regarding the coolant & ATF intervals; I change the coolant, rear diff, & ATF filter (w/5 qts of Mercon V) every 30,000. That's Ford's "severe service" interval....

I flush everything every 50k for what it's worth just because it's not a BAD idea.

I think the big problem with the 4.0 V6 (the SOHC at least) is that when they do have problems, they are VERY complicated (read expensive) to work on. The basics of the 5.0 V8 have been pretty much the same since the early 70's when they first started making the 302. The V6 SOHC has 3 timing chains in it that can each cause problems, and working on them really requires that you pull the engine, have special tools to align them and are just a pain to work on. I can't really say if one is any more reliable than the other, but the cost of repairs makes a difference.

I think the big problem with the 4.0 V6 (the SOHC at least) is that when they do have problems, they are VERY complicated (read expensive) to work on. The basics of the 5.0 V8 have been pretty much the same since the early 70's when they first started making the 302. The V6 SOHC has 3 timing chains in it that can each cause problems, and working on them really requires that you pull the engine, have special tools to align them and are just a pain to work on. I can't really say if one is any more reliable than the other, but the cost of repairs makes a difference.

I keep hearing that, but I can't help but wonder what people are doing to the v6's to cause these issues? I have heard of many more troubles with the 5.0 and other v8 engines offered than the 4.0 v6. To me, that's the attractiveness of the v6. The reality is..

The 4.0 gets horrible mileage... (the v8 gets about the same).. it doesn't sound as aggressive... and I guess that's it. BUT, from a cost of ownership perspective the 4.0 v6 is tried and true and been around FOREVER and is a tank!

SO when shopping for my 2008 explorer, v8 or v6 would have sufficed. I didn't care either way. I don't drive SUVs as performance vehicles, but then again the new sport would be fun. My ecoboost f150 and 2.0 '13 fusion titanium are pretty fun.... and not exactly built to be race cars either.

My "fun" toy will be a GT500 or similar shelby once I graduate with my MBA ;)

Well one of the other issues is that before about 2002, there were actual problems with the timing chain tensioners. Ford released a Service Bulletin regarding the issue, and apparently when you purchase new timing sets from Ford, you get the post 2002 versions. So combine bad plastic timing tensioners with an overly complex timing chain setup that requires engine removal and special tools to fix and you get an engine that is probably cheaper and easier to replace than repair. It's unfortunate that the system they have problems with is the system that is probably the most complicated to work on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back