V6 vs. V8: MPG | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 vs. V8: MPG

I get 17-18MPG in town. Everytime I take off from a stop the engine hits atleast 2500RPM through the first 3 gears and about 80% of the time I go to 3000-3500 RPM through the first 3 gears. On the highway (75-80MPH) I get right around 20MPG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what tune do you have with what octane level and do you notice a difference between like 87 octane and 93 octane

I got 87/89/91. I only tried the 89 tune so far. The roads are still icy up here so I haven't really gotten too hard on it.

I get 17-18MPG in town. Everytime I take off from a stop the engine hits atleast 2500RPM through the first 3 gears and about 80% of the time I go to 3000-3500 RPM through the first 3 gears. On the highway (75-80MPH) I get right around 20MPG.

When you hit 2500 rpm back off the throttle just a little, keep it below 2000 and you will see better numbers.

V6 vs. V8

Hi fellow members,

I am new to the forum.

Yesterday, I purchased a 2010 Explorer Limited 4x4 V6 with Navi. I always wanted an Explorer. I traded a 2006 Volvo XC90 v8.

I am wondering if I made a mistake in getting the v6 as opposed to the v8. Can anyone shed some light on my concern?

Bruce Eimer
dr.eimer1@comcast.net
www.PersonalDefenseSolutions.net

omg

i can only seem to get 15-16 mpg with my x.. what should i do to improve it?

That's about what I get around town... I can get about 24 if I really milk it on the highway staying about 60-65 mph.

All I have to say is my X should have gotten the v8 put in it at the factory, not the 6.
For one my V6 is underpowered
Two, sucks gas worse that the v8
Three, its a v6....lol :D

When I was buying my 07, V8s were hard to come by. It seemed only about 10% of the fleet came with the 4.6. I went with a nicely equiped v6 w/tow pkg. Our milage on the low side of what's reported here. My wife drives a lot of short trips which really hurts milage.

I came from a V8 Durango and, but for brief moments towing up a long hill, don't miss the extra couple cylinders.

Here are some tips... they depend on your budget.

Stock / a hundred bucks at the auto-parts store and a weekend:
Remove the cross bars on your roof rack (helps with highway mpg)
Engine Tune-up: NGK plugs with proper temp rating/wires/fuel filter/etc
Replace the MAF and O2 sensors
Remove the spare tire and unused seats (helps with city mpg)

Shop tune-up:
Have brake rotors/drums checked for run-out or change the brakes and
adjust out the run-out (if they rub on the pads you lose mpg)
Have the fuel injectors cleaned by a shop (it is a special machine, the bottles of cleanser are useless)

Non-stock / a few hundred bucks and a few weekends:
Change to an electric fan
Install synthetic ATF and synthetic power steering fluid
Install under-drive pulleys on accessories
Install a cold air / larger bore intake system
Install exhaust headers, cat-back highflow exhaust
Change the differential gear ratio and axle bearings

Have fun!
-Graham
1998 Explorer V6 / 310k miles

310,000 miles.... :eek: wow

i know.. .. wow

310 k.. holy crap... you must be doing something right !!!! thanks for the advice.. yea...im gonna get a trnny flush and fill.. dont know if its ever been done. 140k i like the roof rack idea.. im gonna take a look at that and figure that out. kinda want to do the k&g intake.. kinda spendy though.200$ or so.. do you think dollar for dollar compared to mileage it be worth it in a return on dollars?
iinstalled a new dpfe sensor and egr valve. should i clean the maf sensor or replace it?

nothing wrong with the v6.. however: if you had a v8.. you would never want a v6 again.

good trade in though volvo for the explorer !!! ATTA BOY !

right now I get 17-18 mpg mixed and 21 mpg highway on my '97 v8 AWD.. can't wait till i get the 4406 installed and drive around with 2WD :D

What gas mileage you get with the V6 is largely dependant on whether you have the factory tow package or not. Without the tow package, the V6/5-speed and V8/6-speed get the same gas mileage (at least the ratings).

But once you add the tow package, V6 mileage goes in the toilet because of the rear axle gear change from 3.55:1 to 3.73:1. But the V8 stays the same, since the 6-speed eliminates the need for the rear axle gear change. V8 1st gear has better towing performance than V6 first gear with towing axle. But V8 6th gear is better for economy than V6 5th gear w/o towing axle.

As long as it's no older than 2006, definitely hold out for the V8/6-speed! Best of both worlds, and not much more purchase price difference.

PS - If you don't need low-range/selectable 4WD, I found that I got a lot more feature for the money in my recently purchased Mountaineer AWD Premier than I could in a mid-level Explorer 4WD Eddie Bauer or Limited.

I get about 13 around town and 22-24 on the highway in my 06 4.6. Not bad I suppose.

I really like the torque of the 3 valve V8. It really gits out of the hole.

I wanted the 4.6, but they were all high mileage. :(

I have 4.0 sohc also I have a 4.6

I have 1997 4.0 sohc 4x4 with tow package, I also have a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 AWD with the class III tow package, the 4.6 is better on power and fuel.
in the 6 cycl i get about 16 mpg on highway, and the 8 cycl get 21 mpg

picture.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 4.0 sohc, I also have a 4.6. the 4.6 is better on power and fuel.
in the 6 cycl i get about 16 mpg on highway, and the 8 cycl get 21 mpg

picture.jpg

16? Are you putting it on cruise control and going up 45 degree inclines?

Back