• Register Today It's free!

V6 Weapon R Intake

DBVIII

Reaction score
City, State
Hartford, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
I have been looking around and searching through the forums, but have not seen anyone that has the Weapon R Intake for their V6 ST. I am new to the Sport Trac world, just bought my 2007 ST XLT this past Friday, so just lookin around for mods. I've seen the intake on a couple websites and its the only one that I see fits the V6. Does anyone out there have it with pictures of it installed, and possibly some reviews on it? Thanks for the help from a newbie!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of it. Unless it comes with a heat shield it won't be as good as the stock intake anyway. A stock Gen 2 intake is already a cold air intake and even the silencer is pretty much wide open.

http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=view_product&id=128

Here is the link to the intake that I found. So I know it's available for the motor, just never heard/seen of anyone that has it installed or whether they have any gains from it. Would it be best to go with this or to just do a drop in K&N Filter?

I'm not seeing a heat shield. Looks like flashy ricer crap to me. That's not a cold air intake, it's a hot air intake. A 4.0 doesn't really flow enough air that the stock airbox is a restriction and if it is, that will only occur at high rpm where trucks don't usually operate. You will get far more bang for the buck dropping $350 on a cat-back exhaust and not $250 on an intake that won't be any better than stock and probably worse. The stock intake isn't a restriction, the stock exhaust is. Just get a K&N drop-in and call it good. The Gibson exhaust I have gives noticeably more power and 3 mpg better on the highway.

I'm not saying this just because it's what I did. I researched it all pretty good from highly reliable sources before I bought stuff.

Here is what makes a difference, in order:
1. Cat-back exhaust.
2. SCT Tuner (on my shopping list).
3. K&N air filter.
4. Enlarged throttle body.
5. Hi-perf coil and plug wires.

I'll probably get the tuner soon. Seriously thinking about getting the exhaust manifolds Extrude-Honed depending on what it costs, probably cheaper than headers which don't help much anyway. Plus side, Extrude-Hone's shop isn't real far from where I live.

Well said, JohnnyO. :thumbsup:

The Gibson exhaust I have gives noticeably more power and 3 mpg better on the highway.

Do you have a video of the exhaust on your truck? I love my truck, has sufficient power for what I need right now, and didn't have the extra 10k to buy a V8 at the time. I just hear a lot of V6 exhausts that sound terrible, so if yours sounds great then I think I know what I'll go with. I will be orderin a drop-in filter very soon :thumbsup:

Do you have a video of the exhaust on your truck? I love my truck, has sufficient power for what I need right now, and didn't have the extra 10k to buy a V8 at the time. I just hear a lot of V6 exhausts that sound terrible, so if yours sounds great then I think I know what I'll go with. I will be orderin a drop-in filter very soon :thumbsup:
I sort of have a video. The videographer at last year's Sport Trac meet shot one of me and I started the truck. I don't have it uploaded anywhere. Need to check with him and get permission, I don't want to violate any copyright stuff.

IMO is sounds as good as a V6 is going to sound.

If you end up finding one or getting permission to use your video I would love to see it. If it sounds as good as you describe it I'm sure I'll end up getting it. But as with most people, I definitely like to hear/see what I'm buying before I buy it!

Back