• Register Today It's free!

v8/302 engine

BigPip

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
What is different 302 different from an explorer? What will happen if I pull a motor out of a 90 mustang GT and try to put it in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is different 302 different from an explorer? What will happen if I pull a motor out of a 90 mustang GT and try to put it in?

you would need a different oil pan, as well as front dress, as a explorer one is shorter then a stang. i am not sure about the timing chain covers or not as a explorer has a crank trigger switch on it and a mustang doesnt. thats what i can think of off the top of my head.

The 90 Mustang short block is a good direct swap, but nothing else really. The oil filter needs a different metric block adapter, the balancer is different, as are the heads, intake, EGR system, distributor etc.

What about a 302 out of an f-150, 1986. I am not against switching to a carb if it makes life easier.

on 2nd thought, If I go the v8 route i will do it out of an explorer.

The water pump is reversed in the mustangs 302. I would try to fit a 351 Cleveland in it, now that would be different.

Back