PATS and a 302 engine swap into a Volvo | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS and a 302 engine swap into a Volvo

Here is my latest results of several days inventorying the Wiring Diagram book. The objective is to identify all the C115 connections to the body of the car. Power, ground, fuel pump, oil, water, ignition, start and whatever else is needed. The majority of the PCM, engine and transmission connections are taken care of once you get through C115

Still several circuits missing. Anyone know where they can be found I would certainly appreciate an update here or on a PM. Hope this effort will help others to get through an engine swap to an non-OBDII car.

Sorry, but this download site is going to give you 2 or 3 advertisements along with the information. Just click through them.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zizgzzotmgk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plan on adding if car doesnt allready have it a Fuel tank Pressure sensor.

I had seen your comments and efforts on the pressure sensor on your build thread. By '00 Ford had moved to a non-return fuel system so I had questioned whether that sensor is needed. It is, indeed, in the '00 schematics (circuit 359/pin 18 and 791/pin 17) but not discussed at all in the Ford/Volvo swap discussions. My car was a diesel and it has a return line which I had not planned on using.

I would appreciate it if you would help me understand why it is needed.

Fuel pressure regulator

Using the Ford PCM with stock tune you have to ensure that the fuel pressure on the rail is correct or the air/fuel ratio will be incorrect. If your Volvo has an intank or external fuel pressure regulator then you could measure it's pressure and James could probably compensate for any difference in the custom tune.

Now I understand!

The Fuel TANK Pressure Sensor reads the fuel LINE pressure. The Ford Pump and Pressure Sensor are inside the tank. That makes sense.

The Volvo fuel pump is mounted outside of the tank. Guess I have to figure out how to add a pressure sensor. Just thinking with my fingers but it would be convenient to install it in the engine compartment between the rigid Volvo fuel lines and the flexible Ford connector.

Anyone know of a usable sensor?

I believe that is not the case...

Now I understand!

The Fuel TANK Pressure Sensor reads the fuel LINE pressure. The Ford Pump and Pressure Sensor are inside the tank. That makes sense.

The Volvo fuel pump is mounted outside of the tank. Guess I have to figure out how to add a pressure sensor. Just thinking with my fingers but it would be convenient to install it in the engine compartment between the rigid Volvo fuel lines and the flexible Ford connector.

Anyone know of a usable sensor?

The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, in my understanding, is for the evap system to determine whether a sufficient vacuum is on the fuel tank to remove the vapors to the charcoal canister...On a 2000 PCM the lack of that sensor would be an evap system code...I am not aware of a fuel pressure sensor in the early models of the returnless fuel systems used by Ford...The fuel pump was regulated by a tank mounted regulator, or bypass, which only opened to allow excess pressure back into the tank... Otherwise the pump ran fuel deadhead into the fuel rail and the injectors opened as needed based on the PCM pulsewidth...

I do believe there is a fuel pressue sensor on vehicles with the electronic returnless fuel injection systems and the PCM monitored the fuel pressure and pulse width operated the fuel pump through variable voltage to alter the fuel pressure... Our trucks use the mechanical returnless systems; at least up to 2001 and perhaps beyond...

And the Volvo fuel pump, being external on my 1988 760 Turbo, out put well over 60 psi which would supply the v8 in your car...And since the V8 has no return line, you could simply cap the line at the tank as it is not needed...Unfortunately I am not familiar with the diesel setup but on the gas engine the regulator was on the engine and not in the tank...

Spent some quality time with the local Ford store parts counter man. He wouldn't budge off his position that the Fuel TANK Sensor read the pressure within the tank for evap system issues, not fuel pressure regulation.

There is a pressure regulator on the right hand side fuel rail but I do not understand how it can regulate pressure without a way to bleed it back to the tank.

If you are running the fuel rail from a 2000 Explorer

You will not have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail... You might be looking at the fuel damper, which is a device to even out the fuel pulses to the injectors...

The mechanical returnless fuel system just runs at 65-72 psi...The regulator in this case is different than the vacuum operated regulator in a return type of system...The fuel pump also runs constantly and the pressure output/fuel volume delivered is determined by the dwell time of the injectors, not by a vacuum signal...The regulator is mounted in the tank and only is in place in the event the pressure goes higher than preset in which case the fuel pressure regulator bypasses excess pressure through itself back into the tank...Below is a picture of the returnless fuel pump setup...Black arrow is the pressure regulator which the return hose on the opposite side and the pump is at the purple arrow at the bottom of the sender/pump unit...

Also does your fuel rail look like the second pic? If it does, where the vacuum line goes on is not a fuel pressure regulator but the fuel damper...

Attachments

• E2296S-1reg.JPG
    E2296S-1reg.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 20005.0liter fuel rail.jpg
    20005.0liter fuel rail.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 193

Well i'm jealous. i wanted to throw a supercharged v6 in an old volvo amazon a while ago.. but the a-hole who was selling the Volvo sold it to someone else after he told me i could come get it. should be pretty sweet!

Ranger7Ltr,

Thank you very much! Now I really understand . . . correctly. Having the regulator inside the tank is the only way that makes sense without a return line.

Now I have to figure out how to add a regulator outside the tank. The car has a return fuel line. Would an earlier MY fuel rail with a regulator and return line fit this engine? Or, is there an aftermarket regulator I could add before the fuel rail?

Since Ford, and everyone else, have gone to the trouble of putting fuel pressure regulators on cars I guess I should also.

Summit Racing has about a hundred pressure regulators to choose from. Guess I just need a 70 psi unit, mount it on the firewall where the tank lines terminate and arrange connections. Then have the custom tune set for 70.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure you can convert to a return type fuel system...

Ranger7Ltr,

Thank you very much! Now I really understand . . . correctly. Having the regulator inside the tank is the only way that makes sense without a return line.

Now I have to figure out how to add a regulator outside the tank. The car has a return fuel line. Would an earlier MY fuel rail with a regulator and return line fit this engine? Or, is there an aftermarket regulator I could add before the fuel rail?

Since Ford, and everyone else, have gone to the trouble of putting fuel pressure regulators on cars I guess I should also.

But remember that the mapping in your PCM is based on the higher psi of the returnless fuel system and since the return type system runs at a lower pressure the PCM might have issues with the lack of fuel delivery...

Now you could convert to a return type system AND to a pre-PATS PCM which would also be a return type fuel system for the v8 Explorer...PATS and returnless fuel systems started atthe same model year I do believe...So if you had a 96-98 PCM it would be based on the 30-40 psi fuel system with a return line vs. the 99-newer PCM with 65-73 psi returnless fuel system and PATS anti-theft system...

Back