Awd to 4x4 conversion question. Thanks guys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Awd to 4x4 conversion question. Thanks guys

Andyjman83

Reaction score
City, State
San Jacinto, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 mountaineer
Hey guys,

I have a question for yall,
I have a 97 mountaineer v8 awd.
I have been reading multiple threads regarding the awd to manually shifted 4406 transfer case conversion, and i am kinda confused as to how to go about addressing the speedo issue. I have read that certain year t cases wont allow the spedometer to work, and certain ones can be adapted to work, or i might need to put a tone ring in the transmission.
On my current transmission, the speed sensor is on the side of the transmission, and the transfer case has only the vent tube and the 2 driveshafts going to it. If i were to install a 4406 will i have to use any of the sensors on the transfer case, if i decide not to use the indicator lights. Im a bit confused. I might use the lights, i might not, but id really like my speedo to work.

Thanks guys.
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I have a question for yall,
I have a 97 mountaineer v8 awd.
I have been reading multiple threads regarding the awd to manually shifted 4406 transfer case conversion, and i am kinda confused as to how to go about addressing the speedo issue. I have read that certain year t cases wont allow the spedometer to work, and certain ones can be adapted to work, or i might need to put a tone ring in the transmission.
On my current transmission, the speed sensor is on the side of the transmission, and the transfer case has only the vent tube and the 2 driveshafts going to it. If i were to install a 4406 will i have to use any of the sensors on the transfer case, if i decide not to use the indicator lights. Im a bit confused. I might use the lights, i might not, but id really like my speedo to work.

Thanks guys.
Andy

Best I can say off the top of my head is, regardless of which way you go, the PCM must be changed to one compatible with manual transfer case. I have no idea about the tone ring in the transfer case, but will GUESS there has never been one there. Personally, I think yer gettin' in above yer head. imp

Your PCM will be fine.

There were 4406 cases with the sensor, pre 1998 I believe, and those without.

IF your speed sensor is not in the t-case you don't need to do anything to make the speedo work.

My sensor comes through the ABS system.

I put a 98 t-case in my 00 Mounty and all works without a hiccup.

If your sensor is in the t-case, then find one that has the sensor in it and all will be fine.

MT

Your PCM will be fine.

There were 4406 cases with the sensor, pre 1998 I believe, and those without.

IF your speed sensor is not in the t-case you don't need to do anything to make the speedo work.

My sensor comes through the ABS system.

I put a 98 t-case in my 00 Mounty and all works without a hiccup.

If your sensor is in the t-case, then find one that has the sensor in it and all will be fine.

MT

I learn something every day! Thanks! My experience is more with 3rd. Gen, where PCM is involved with everything! imp

I learn something every day! Thanks! My experience is more with 3rd. Gen, where PCM is involved with everything! imp

If it were a 6 cylinder with 4WD the PCM would play a part.

With the 5.0 AWD the PCM plays no part in the operation.

The 4406 manual shift also needs no input from the PCM to operate.

MT

Back