• Register Today It's free!

V8 AWD owners What do you think?

wannabe

Reaction score
City, State
Leeds, UT and The Box, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 V8 AWD XLT
Am looking at buying a 2000 V8 AWD and want some feedback from current owners.

AWD vs 4WD

V6 vs V8

This will be a daily driver but will see some trails/off road use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have owned 4 Explorers:

(1) 1993, OHV, V6
(2) 1997, SOHC, V6
(3) 2000, SOHC, V6
(4) 1999, V8

Listed in order of ownership chronologically, but also ranked least fave to most fave Explorer.

The OHV is a fine engine. A real workhorse, but a bit of a dog. SOHC is definitely a nicer engine, but the 302 V8 5.0 etc is the cream of the crop. Lots of mod opportunities and definitely one of the most proven engines Ford has ever put out. Drawback? You can only have 2WD or AWD, not 4WD mated to the V8 (there is a difference). AWD is great for traction in the city and some light wheeling, backcountry roads etc. You have plenty of those in Utah. Winter traction is amazing, especially with true winter tires. 4WD is what you want for offroading. AWD is a full time setup. You can't switch it off. With 4WD, you have options. Hi Lo etc and depending on year, different renditions of a 2WD setup (and with the famed "brown wire mod", you can have true RWD with a switch and some advice from this site).

I scored my '99 Eddie Bauer last November and I understand now why V8 owners love them so much. Remember, this is a scaled back setup of the 5.0 that was in the Mustang for so many years! :D

As long as it's in good shape and has been well maintained, I say go for it. Then score yourself an Elite membership to this site and hang out with the rest of us Explorer addicts and find out how much money you can throw at your ride, daily driver or not.

Good luck.

I've owned a 1999 EB with SOHC v6 and I currently own a 1996 XLT w/ a V8 AWD. I agree with Celly - the V8 motor in the ex is the way to go for me. For my purposes (daily driving and pulling the boat) the AWD works great. You sacrifice a few MPG with the 8. I also beleive it is paired with a different (better) tranny than my SOHC was...I shifts better to me.

The V8 drivetrain is very strong, whereas others have had issues with the V6 trans. My 5.0 has 115K and starts, runs and drives like a new one. Much better in my opinion, however, the lack of low range has its drawbacks as well as a little more fuel consumption. Overall, I think the V8 is the better option.

Sounds like we all have the same idea. Thanks for your input everybody. If my pickup sells, maybe I can swing the explorer.

I concur with the others. BTW, find the highest optioned model that you can, color and all. The cost should be the same to you, and choose a 98-01. There is virtually no difference at all between those years, same options etc. The V8 and 4R70W trans are so good that mileage should not be a big cost factor. Select the best options, and the drivetrain that you want.

The SOHC V6 has issues, unless you are ready for them, plus the lesser V6 trans, then buy a V8. Good luck,

I've owned a 99 AWD XLT V8 for 4 years and it is really a great vehicle. The 5.0 is a smooth running engine and when I drive it easy it get's 16 mpg around town and 19 on the highway. not bad IMHO.

I've owned my 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD for five years now and have 180,000 mliles on it. It burns no oil & still gets up goes.

I't does great in the winter when we do get snow.
Oil changes are easy. The ride is pretty smooth.

I plan on Keeping mine for years to come.

In the future I plan on ditching the AWD transfer case & puting an Atlas II in :D

I just built a 96 and me like it very much! 5 OH it hauls butt for a pig!

Back