• Register Today It's free!

V8 engine noise

FiveLiter

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0L
I conducted a search, but wasn't able to find the answer to my problem, which is a ticking sound from the engine on acceleration. The strange thing about it is, it's not consistent, other than when you first drive the vehicle. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is warm or not, you will hear the noise. Then it's hit and miss. The noise never goes away during acceleration, however. It's always after you've stopped for a light or stop sign or something. It happened today after I got it washed. It ticked pulling out for about a quarter mile to the stop sign. Once I accelerated again, it sounded like a brand new engine (man, I love the sound of that 5.0).

Also, am I going crazy or is the PCV valve not easy to find. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by FiveLiter
I

Also, am I going crazy or is the PCV valve not easy to find. Thanks for the help.

I have looked a couple times for mine, I will be on a mission this weekend to find it. I will post back.

I also have a noise on acceleration, mine never goes away, I only notice it when I am close to a curb or wall where the sound bounces back. Have not pinpointed it yet, It seems to come from the valve covers or the injectors.

The noise I'm hearing kind of sounds like a sticking valve or something and the noise seems to come from the passenger side, but I can't tell for sure. And I never had the noise on my '93 5.0 T-Bird. And that had 135,000 on it when I sold it. My X has 80,000 and I have noticed the noise for probably the last 10,000 or so.

I would appreciate any pointers you can manage to give from your PCV valve finding mission, Sonny. Thanks.

the noise both of you are hearing is a leaking stock header. ill be willing to bet its coming from the passenger side too. ive never seen a stock 5liter X that DIDNT have the ticking header leak. mine does it too.

buy a set of copper header gaskets and Stage 8 locking header bolts. this will fix the problem.

Originally posted by james t
the noise both of you are hearing is a leaking stock header. ill be willing to bet its coming from the passenger side too. ive never seen a stock 5liter X that DIDNT have the ticking header leak. mine does it too.

buy a set of copper header gaskets and Stage 8 locking header bolts. this will fix the problem.

I picked up a Stethoscope today, going to check out the noise. I know I am being lazy on this question but, if it is the header gasket, in a nutshell how difficult is it to replace the gasket? I have installed headers on a older 74 Monte Carlo 350 chevy (a long time ago) it did not seem to bad.

I have the Haynes manual, that goes into great detail. I would like to know from someone that has replaced the gaskets on how long it took to do it. Can they be done by just looseing up the header and slipping the new ones in or am I dreamin' and many parts must be removed to access the bolts?

Thanks...

Originally posted by FiveLiter
I

Location of PCV on the 5.0, on the drivers side look at the area above the valve cover, you will see the spark plug wires and the metal fuel line running above the cover. At the back and on the bottom of the large Plenum (sp) 5.0 body there is a short metal tube comming down, attached to this is a rubber hose, follow this hose about 12" and you should find a foam collar, at this collar is where the PCV goes into the system. Pull up on hose at this point and there she blows.

Originally posted by james t

I don't have this problem I just have a leak in the flange.

Originally posted by jonjones80
I don't have this problem I just have a leak in the flange.
that is also another possibility. must leak around the head because the bolts work their way loose over time.

I had the same ticking you guys described until I invested 10 minutes:
1. sit down on the ground facing the passenger front tire
2. reach above the tire and pull on the fender which separates the wheelwell from the engine compartment
3. the header bolts are staring you in the face. tighten them. luckily for me, the gasket must have not burned yet because after tightening, the ticking went away.

GT-40p- i did that when i first bought the truck. too late. the gasket had already burned a notch. i did find out that all of the bolts on the passenger side were finger tight. :rolleyes:

hey guys, i am here to finally solve the common riddle of V8 ticking noise. i KNOW the noise 'cause that was what was buggin the hell outta me for 30,000 miles. i took my X to the dealer and found out that the clickity click noise was caused by a busted EGR valve. it cost me about $240 to fix. that if course is the dealer price so im sure now that you know your answer, it's gona be cheaper to fix. go and fix your clickity click. :D

i dont have a v8 i have the sohc, but are you guys sure its not something inexpensive? i had a clicking sound on startup, sounded like a turbodeisel benz, and i cleanned the maf and it was gone, not too mention the rough idle.......

i know, i know, its not a v8 but, just giving you guys some other ideas......unless replacing the exhaust gasket isn't a big thing to do yourself...

Some great advice here, guys (thanks for getting back here with the PCV local, Sonny). I appreciate it. I can't wait to get into the garage. I wish it wasn't so late.

Just a couple of quick questions for clarification:

I'm a begginer with a little bit of knowledge about what goes on under the hood, have only the basic of tools (100 piece Crafstman sockets and wrenches and a few other basics) and would like to do some stuff myself. So, can a guy like me replace a head gasket without getting in over my head? Is it that easy?

And what about the fact that my ticking noise isn't always there? If there was a problem with a gasket or something I would think it would always be there and not make that noise only some of the time. I'll definitely tighten the bolts to see though. Even I can handle that.

Thanks again for the good info.

Five, Check to see if your bolts are loose on the Exhaust Manifold.

Then go to Autozone/Checker and pick up a Haynes repair manual. This will be good information for you to start with, get some knowledge about your truck.

I would change the plugs and plug wires first (Motorcraft Plugs). This you should be able to do, just go in thur the splash guard above the front tires. Took me about a hour or so to do mine. Be careful NOT to cross thread the plugs, take your time.

Then I would change the oil to a Syn. 5w30 (I use Pennzoil or Valvoline) and use a Motorcraft oil filter. Run a couple bottles of Injector cleaner back to back on 2 tankfuls of Medium grade of gas. Use the cleaner that is like $10.00 a bottle (says something like every 12k miles). I use Valvoline Syn. Injector cleaner. Be sure to follow the directions. Never run your truck to far below 1/4 tank.

After a couple thousand miles no more than 3k in my opinion, change the oil again. See if this helps your ticking.

I understand that things cost a lot of money but do not cut costs on the oil, it is a minor investment for a long life of any auto. I change mine every 3000-3500 miles.

Good luck, remember start with the simple things first, do troubleshooting repairs 1 thing at a time so you know what if any thing you have accomplished.

Our 97' Mounty diddn'yt starts the tick until about 80,0000 mnilers. Our 00' wev half now is fine, no tick tock or anything. Fords givev us the best 5.0 small block theyve made except for the stupid ass cam, and decides to makes the crappiestes manifoldls they probably ever made. Once ours Moutny stars the tick, I'll put on the new boltds and gasket before it burns thrrough.

Goood jo b James....

Soorry for poopr speeling, I''''m wastedd....mmmmm 20 packs of Bud:p , James my hereo

On the '97 and later 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer, check the EGR tube for that leak. It's the corrugated steel line that comes up off the top of the passenger side exhaust manifold/header.

The service manager at my dealer told me that the tubes burn through at the weak spots between those fins or corrugations. If the noise is more noticeable when first driving it after a cold start, that might be the culprit.

Anyone know how to get that part loose? Looks like a long socket extension and crow-foot wrench might work.

i would ay that its the egr tube.... its not real expensive but its a pain in the a*s to get to.....i took the upper intake off of mine to do it and i have changed about five differant egr tubes on other explorers the same way... you can get to it by just removing the throttle body and the 90 degree elbow but its not that easy....either way you choose make sure you do NOT kink the tube or put undue stress on the tube by bending it to harshly......hope this helped and i am more that sure that that is your problem.....if you want to prove it to yourself take it to an exhaust shop and ask them to check it....i bet thats it and if its not it (by some odd chance) then you will know and you will have gottin it checked for free.... good luck

So, can a guy like me replace a head gasket without getting in over my head?
I would say for the most part, YES. But you never know working with cars, there is always that inexpected broken bolt that seems to always hold things up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, it can also be the EGR tube. mine has no EGR tube... its internal EGR. mine leaks from the header gasket. basically, check everything. :D

Back