V8 engine noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 engine noise

I looked at my (stock) headers tonight, and the forward two bolts on the passenger side were finger loose. Tomorrow, I'll go look at the EGR tube.

Originally posted by Tom G
finger loose

Originally posted by james t
finger tight. :rolleyes:

My front bolt on the passenger side turned like 2 full revolutions before it became finger tight/loose. The next one back turned like 1 1/2 full turns. The rest were about 1/4 turn. What assembly line robot was torquing those down? Driver's side are all tight/practically seized.:rolleyes:

I just noticed the ticking also. Actually my wifes drives it and noticed and told me......whata gal! Reminded me of a leaking header gasket. Heard most notable at idle when hot.

I still have warranty left....this would be covered wouldn't it? What would I "expect" the dealership to do? I don't want a "band-aid" fix. Should they replace the gasket and such totally or would they just tighten the bolts.
Thanks,

If its under warranty, I would would check bolts at home to make sure what the problem was, drive it to the dealer and tell them you know whats wrong with it, its a very commin problem and you want it fixed right. IE. new gasket and torque bolts properly.

You don't want them to just torque the bolts and then have to drive it back because the gasket was burned up, after the warranty has expired.

Back