• Register Today It's free!

v8 swap

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I bought a bronco not too long ago. thing was too rusted to insure so i took the tires and everything off it, the engine seems to run fine, its a 302, but with all the conversion **** i need, (is there a list by the way) im assuming motor/tranny mounts, oil pan, headers, wiring harness. and the work involved.
how much should this cost considering the engine is free and will this thing fit? its from an 87 bronco.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one other thing to add to your list is radiator and electric fans. After you stuff that 302 into the engine bay, between the new radiator and the water pump, there typically isnt enough room to run a standard fan. There have been alot of 302 swaps into rangers within the same year range's. Look on google for more info, or www.therangerstation.com also has alot of good info(look in the technical library section). Good luck with your project and keep us updated with lots of pictures!!

well i wont be doing anything until the summer when im not driving this thing in the winter, but that v6 is horrible lol i gotta get rid of it asap i used to have a 91 ranger, so ill have to check back on that site. my fan clutch is seized anyway so that electric conversion is a must.
thanks.

If you aren't doing anything until Summer. I highly suggest you search search and more search and figure out what all you need, and start getting it.

haha which is why im trying to find out if itll fit. someone said bronco engines arent too good to put in there

Bronco engines aren't anything special, they aren't really built differently. It's overall size you have to worry about.

If it's a 302, it'll fit. The swap has been done a lot in Rangers/Explorers, just looked around and you'll find it. But yes, a 302 will fit.

Don't need a new rad. The one in the ex will work with a little relocation.

are tehy worth the work?

It depends on what your looking for. It's a huge vehicle, it's not going to be as fast as a mustang or handle like a ferrari.

If you want power, you'll get it, and you'll have a lot more options for add ons in the future. But you need to evaluate how much effort you're willing to put into it vs. what you want to get out of it.

anyone ever done a swap with those old ranger diesels with the turbos or are they ****?

Back