V8 ticking noise

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Looking at buying a 2010 EB with the 4.6. I only has 31,500 miles on it. When I popped the hood I noticed the ticking really bad. A little search on here talked about the cam phasers, which is the same thing my buddy that use to work at Ford said. I could only hear it when the hood is up. Couldn't hear it at all while driving.

Here is a video to let you hear the noise. Sounds like a little diesel. I love the truck and would like to buy it, but this is scaring me. Thoughts????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure doesn't sound good in the video:( Sorry I don't have an answer for you on this.

I had the same thing. They had a Ford rep look at it and said it was completely normal but could not tell me what was causing it. That was 10k miles ago and no problems except for the 2-1 shiftdown acting up which has me concerned which is why I'm here. Hopefully just a reflash.

sounds just like mine , ford rep listened to it , i compared it to others. they all sound the same.

Same like my 06 v8. 147k miles and running strong.
The exhasut tick is what bothers me but harmless as well.

Has the noise gotten any worse as time goes on?

Looking at buying a 2010 EB with the 4.6. I only has 31,500 miles on it. When I popped the hood I noticed the ticking really bad. A little search on here talked about the cam phasers, which is the same thing my buddy that use to work at Ford said. I could only hear it when the hood is up. Couldn't hear it at all while driving.

Here is a video to let you hear the noise. Sounds like a little diesel. I love the truck and would like to buy it, but this is scaring me. Thoughts????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtXVz3ZmeII

It sounds like the typical noisy Ford fuel injectors to me. Mine sounds very similar from day 1.

Fuel injectors? Really? I wouldn't have guessed that. Does your seem to get better or worse when you rev it up?

The exhaust manifold tick came up around 100k miles. It's been about the same all along, louder in the winter for first few seconds due to temperature.

Yeah I'm familar with the exhaust manifold leak and sounds. I think this is different, but sure is something to look at.

Sounds just like mine when I start it up. After ~30-60 seconds is gets a bit quieter, but it is still there. I've got 107K miles, and it does sound like a little diesel! :D

Sounds like mine too. Hard to say if mine is any better or worse from a video but the tick is there. I've noticed that Ford did such a good job on the interior insulation on this generation that I'm still surprised when I get out of mine with the engine running at all the noise I hear.

I would narrow it down to the exhaust manifold or the lifters.

Before my Limited was disabled by Hurricane Sandy, I was experiencing the same sound. A mechanic felt that it was the lifters, so he told me that he will do three (3) engine oil changes (the same day, with about 15 - 20 minutes of idle between each change) and use a can of BG Quick Clean for Engines in each oil change.

I would bet the sound is from the exhaust manifold. The 4.6l V8 engine in the SUV's and Trucks seems to have this problem, but not the Mustang, for some reason. We had the right bank manifold replaced under warranty, but the truck is in the shop now for the left manifold on our dime as we are now just outside the drive train warranty. The problem is either a crack in the manifold or, unfortunately more common, a broken header bolt. The latter can be a real pain to get out. With the number of trucks getting this repaired at Ford dealers I am surprised there hasn't been some sort of recall or extended warranty like the paint problems of 20 years ago.

=Vic=

Phasers and manifold leak sound completely different.
I have the same noise, it 100% normal.

Last time my engine sounded this bad was when I was 2 quarts low on oil.

Are you still looking at it? If so, I have a 2010 with the 4.6, with 32,000 miles. I can take a video later of it running so you can compare

Back