Value of 1st Gen Explorers

Ejay11

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Currituck
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 EXP
Just picked up a project Explorer, 94 EXP 4x4 5 speed 135000 miles . Have to push start it but it runs smooth. Needs tires, a/c repair , fuel gauge repair ect. The body is straight but the paint is long gone, interior is not bad, seats are not ripped , no split dash, underneath looks very good for age no major leaks and a little rust. I bought it from a friend who was the original owner for $500. I can fix most of the problems and aftermarket parts are relatively not expensive but I am unsure whether to just repair the starting problem and get rid of it or go further. Is there much of a market for the 1st gens, if I spend another 500 (used tires, ac parts, fuel sending unit, window regulator) on it will I be able to sell it and still make a few $ ? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are looking to just flip it, the current pricing is heavily dependent on location, posssibly duration of ownership. You aren't going to find return on this from those interested in OBS, just not there yet. Many destroyed during cash for clunkers, many being junked here in california due to subsidies (california early vehicle retirement), but they aren't perceived "rare" . If you are just looking for an ROI+, part out and be done with it, or you are investing in somone else's future car.

A 5sp manual at 135k for $500 that only had bad paint and a starter/flywheel issue? (non split dash seems very uncommon by now) i would keep.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can manipulated into permanent ownership!

If you were anywhere near me I’d give you $1k for it. Lol. In central Florida there is only a few first gens for sale and 0 at any junkyard. Parts are hard to find here. That’s why I pick up any that pop up cheap. I’ve been looking for a 5 speed to do a swap.

I flip ALOT of cars and the market is hot right now but there also a ton of people thinking they can make a few bucks flipping something that belongs in a junkyard (not saying yours is) parting it out is an option if you have the time and space.. but then your ROI isn’t very high. There will be a lot of things left over. That’s when you can scrap the rest to try and make a few extra bucks.

Post some pictures! Let’s see this thing! :)

Thanks for the responses, had to look up OBS, see its old body style. I am retired and bought this to tinker with this winter, probably won't spend to much time on it. I have had a 96 and 97 explorer and own a 2000 ranger that I fixed up,
Since I plan to keep the Ranger the Explorer will be something to tinker with when I get bored. The starting problem turned out to be a bad battery and the solenoid on the fender, after driving it some I think it may have a front wheel bearing making noise, previous owner said he thought it had a front caliper sticking sometimes...we shall see.

I think it may have a front wheel bearing making noise, previous owner said he thought it had a front caliper sticking sometimes...we shall see.
sticking caliper can be easy to diagnose. lots of heat on the suspect wheel in short (≈15-20 mile ) distance.

Knowing nothng of the vehicle history, if you start getting strange performance issues, check the capictors in the ECM/PCU. I would do it now preventatively. There are only 2 or 3. Multiple reports of fords and other svehicles of similar age across forums indicate they are going bad, Very inexpensive <$1 as preventative in parts if you can replace before they leak. There are electrolytic capacitors in the ecu, the speed amp, and the ABS computer. ECU and speed amp are easy to open and work on (careful of the speed amp shell, brittle by now).
ABS computer is hermetically/ultrasonically sealed, more difficult to service. These capacitors fail due to age, not subject to mileage.

had
sticking caliper can be easy to diagnose. lots of heat on the suspect wheel in short (≈15-20 mile ) distance.

Knowing nothng of the vehicle history, if you start getting strange performance issues, check the capacitors in the ECM/PCU. I would do it now preventatively. There are only 2 or 3. Multiple reports of fords and other svehicles of similar age across forums indicate they are going bad, Very inexpensive <$1 as preventative in parts if you can replace before they leak. There are electrolytic capacitors in the ecu, the speed amp, and the ABS computer. ECU and speed amp are easy to open and work on (careful of the speed amp shell, brittle by now).
ABS computer is hermetically/ultrasonically sealed, more difficult to service. These capacitors fail due to age, not subject to mileage.
3 explorers 99 down due to slave cyl. 03 200k junked for more than i bought it and took parts to fix 04
all 3 the antilock went out did not work well anyway on 99 when new left off for 15 yrs i ran it
default is conventional brakes . with price of trucks now i seriously thinking of putting 99 back on rd cost about 1k clutch battery and few parts too bad my body will not work enough to do clutch anymore looked for new van 36k list ram dealer advertised for 39 before the backroom ad on tries

Just picked up a project Explorer, 94 EXP 4x4 5 speed 135000 miles . Have to push start it but it runs smooth. Needs tires, a/c repair , fuel gauge repair ect. The body is straight but the paint is long gone, interior is not bad, seats are not ripped , no split dash, underneath looks very good for age no major leaks and a little rust. I bought it from a friend who was the original owner for $500. I can fix most of the problems and aftermarket parts are relatively not expensive but I am unsure whether to just repair the starting problem and get rid of it or go further. Is there much of a market for the 1st gens, if I spend another 500 (used tires, ac parts, fuel sending unit, window regulator) on it will I be able to sell it and still make a few $ ? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I paid 900$ dollars a year ago for my 93" with a bad power steering gear box it was sitting for years when I got it ive put alot of money into it these trucks are starting to get rare and gain some attention I don't ever plan on selling mine I love it too much! I'd say in about 5 to 10 years wer all going to see a spike in value in older SUVs from the 90s not just the explorer

80s cars are going up in value right now, some 90s stuff is going up. Every so often I'll see a first gen for around $5k or so. They aren't real common around here anymore (Cincinnati area). I've seen about three for sale in this area in average to good condition from $4500 to &7000 in the last 4 or so years. There is a thread on here about a $22K 94 Eddie Bauer. That's definitely tip top dollar and condition.

It's like anything else, it's only gonna bring what people are willing to spend. You might just find that right person that just has to have a manual trans, or loves that particular vehicle and will pay a little more than average. These trucks aren't particularly rare or highly sought after yet, but everything that is popular when new, will be popular later.

Ejay, what city state are you in?

Not so much worth it from a monetary profit perspective, more worth it from what you can get out of it. Refresh the steering/ suspension and driveline and drive it for a couple years sell it for a couple thousand, or just keep it and have a paid off easy to maintain classic.

Back