• Register Today It's free!

Valve Lash 5.0

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
How is the valve lash adjusted on the 5.0? Haynes manual just says 18-25 ftlbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had a ticking noise for some time now. Probably 2 years. I don't know if its getting worse or not. Happens when engine is cold. You can hear it at idle in the engine bay, drivers side, rear of engine, some where between the exhaust manifold and the valve cover.

You only hear it in the cabin when the engine is under load. Sounds like it is coming from some where above my feet and below the steering column.

When engine is cold I have placed my hands around the manifold i feel no leaks. I also feel no leaks around the manifold to down pipe connection.

I have pulled my valve cover. I turned the engine 5 degrees at a time and tried to spin the push rods. most of them spin smoothly. 3 of them feel sticky. Like they are worn. I would call the wear less than 1/100 of an inch. They are not loose in the up and down direction, they just don't spin freely like they are getting caught on a groove.

Is this enough wear to cause the rockers to make noise?

How do I adjust the valve lash? Should I just re-torque to 25lbs?

the rockers in the GT-40 5.0L are pedasle mount with hydraulic lifters, there is no adjustment for valve lash like you are thinking, the pedastle mount simple get torqued down properly and left alone... thats it, no valve train adjustments available or required.

I wish there were some adjustment on the rockers. Mine is a little more ticky than I would like. Even stock the 5.0 explorer has some tick to it, I guess that is the way it is. When the parts begin to wear, there is no way to adjust.

Roller Rockers.....they ARE the answer.

Ryan

I wish there were some adjustment on the rockers. Mine is a little more ticky than I would like. Even stock the 5.0 explorer has some tick to it, I guess that is the way it is. When the parts begin to wear, there is no way to adjust.

Ah but there is--
with pushrod length and shims.

Which is slightly more work then adjusters, but not much. Adjusting valves properly takes time.
As does measuring each rod. However with the shims you just bolt it down when correct.

it is a toss up actually.

sigh, should have asked before I took my valve cover off. I think I will re-torque to 25 lbs and see what happens.

The pedestal rockers are just a pain in general though. You can only shim up from stock location which does no good if the parts are worn, it would only increase the gaps. As Jon said you would start having to mess with pushrod lengths.

To me it seems like more work than it would be worth. It sounds like a lot of messing around. You could convert to stud mount rockers. I think there are conversion kits available. This way you can get adjustable rocker arms and it will save you a whole bunch of time.

Turned each bolt 10 degrees. Seems to have stopped the clicking. I hear a new clicking but it sounds like injectors.

How far do u go past zero lash on these 5.0s quarter or half turn

I've got comp high energy roller rockers and a stud conversion kit. Comp says go a half turn past zero lash, well some of my rockers get way too tight when doing such. Any idea what that coud be?

Back