• Register Today It's free!

valves pinge under acceleration

ARTURPOLAND

Reaction score
City, State
POZNAN, POLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 HIGHCLASS
Hi guys, I have '97 SOHC and valves pinges under acceleration. Gas mileage is normal (a little bit higher than before). what could it be ? timing (maybe so called knock sensor) or not adjusted spark plugs gap (i have autolite double platinium). Or maybe it is due to synthetic oil ( i have elf 5w30). My X has 180thousend miles on the counter. Give any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the typical timing chain problem. do a search for SOHC tensoner. It's aknown issue with those engines prior to 2002.

You also mentioned a transmission issue-hmmm
I wonder if you have a Maf sensor or Throttle position sensor problem-

Have you cleaned the maf sensor?

yeah, I have cleaned a MAF sensor and both rear and front tensioner changed recently. I also did the OOM12 service and the problem still exist. Never touched throttle position sensor, I will try this way and let you know

Hi, I found the culprit. had an 0W30 oil. Switched to 20W50 and problem gone. See you

Hi, I found the culprit. had an 0W30 oil. Switched to 20W50 and problem gone. See you

You've just masked the problem, not fixed it. And if you live in cold weather at all, you should not run a 20w50 in that engine, the clearances will not tolerate that viscosity and start to shear your oil at low temperatures. When that starts to happen you can kiss your engine good by.

well, I have read a lot of threads on the oil and it's viscosity. Some threads told that if you have old engine (my has 220.000 km) than high viscosity is OK. maybe I switch to 5W40 or so ?????

Back