Varsity's 2000 Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Varsity's 2000 Explorer Sport

I've been here awhile, just not a big poster and it made me jealous seeing everyone else's Explorer on here and mine unknown :(.
-87k miles
-2WD

Current Mods:

Under the Hood/Performance
-K&N Drop-in filter
-BBK 66mm throttle body
-Dynomax Super Turbo muffler w/ custom bent pipes
-PowerStop cross-drilled and slotted rotors
-DieHard Platinum battery
-Airbox silencer removed w/ "swiss cheese" mod
-OEM External trans cooler added

Gearing:
-Rebuilt 4.10 Limited Slip

Exterior:
-1st gen Sport emblem
-Explorer Forum license plate frames
-'99 Mountaineer side mirrors w/ puddle lights
-LED License Plate lights
-Black taillight covers
-Smoked Black headlight covers
-LED Puddle Lights
-20% Tint on side vents/quarter glass
-EXPLORER lettering on step cover painted gold
-1995 Limited grill
-Rusty rocker panels and other rust fixed
-Bug Shield w/ Sport emblem
-4" CREE LED Pods
-LED Reverse Lights
-Removed lower valance

Lift/Suspension:
-Monroe SensaTrac shocks
-Moog Polyurethane front sway bar links
-3" Body Lift
-4-door leaf springs
-AAL
-1" TT
-Sway bar link quick connects/disconnects (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38237&highlight=disconnects)

Tires/Wheels
-33x12.50 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
-15x8 American Racing AR 767 wheels

Interior:
-Overhead Console
-LED Dome Lights
-LED Dash Lights
-LEDs in Cupholder
-LED Glovebox light
-LED headlight switch
-Painted airvents and jack cover black
-52W CDX-GT565UP Sony headunit
-7 1/4" Kicker Speakers in front
-6.5" Kenwood Speakers in back
-Ford Steering wheel cover
-Side door marker lights from early 2nd gen and converted to LED
-Husky Custom-fit Floorliners
-WeatherTech Custom-fit Cargo Liner
-Uniden Radar Detector
-Maglite mount in cargo area
-2.5lb. fire extinguisher mounted in cargo area
-'01 Sport gauges
-ScanGauge II

Lighting:
-Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow fog lights
-4" LED Pods in bumper

Miscellaneous:
-Random outlining under the hood
-Smittybuilt hitch-mounted D-Ring
-Bedlined OEM gas tank skidplate

Events/Trails Attended
2013 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Indianapolis)
2014 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Indianapolis)
2015 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Lima)
2016 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Lima)
2017 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Lima)

The Cliffs Insane Terrain Off-Road Park (Marseilles, IL)
Badlands Off-Road Park (Attica, IN)

Taken not too long after I got the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if you're reading this Brian, but I found some old window tint so hopefully later this week or next, I'll take a shot at tinting my side vents. The tint is super old and I've never tinted windows before, but I'm on summer break so hopefully this will be a learning experience. Either way, it's free!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good luck with the tinting, I tried doing it myself once....epic fail!

:D

Finally painted the vents I've been longing to do for awhile, and I have to say, not too bad! Sure, it ain't perfect but for about $3-4 and a bored kid at home in his backyard, I am thoroughly impressed! Only thing is, I did not do the driver's side vent. Not exactly sure how/if it comes out, but I'll be taking my upper dash apart soon, so I'll just paint it then.

Like I said, I'm VERY impressed. Also, I ordered tons of 194 LED bulbs, so in a day or two, I'll update this thread when I get some in my license plate lights and glovebox. I bought enough to eventually do my dashboard lights but that may not be for awhile. Hope you enjoy!

The drivers side vent is easy, just do the dash lights at the same time because you have to take that whole panel piece off to get the vent off (Comes out from the back)

The drivers side vent is easy, just do the dash lights at the same time because you have to take that whole panel piece off to get the vent off (Comes out from the back)
^^That's what I thought but thanks for the confirmation.

Posting a bit late, but I got my LEDs in the mail, popped 'em in and WOW! Beautiful! I am not exaggerating when I say they are exactly what I was looking for. The pictures don't do much justice, but the ones in the license plate aren't too bright, where I'll get in trouble or look stupid, but bright enough and white enough to be brighter than stock and give it that slightly unique look. I know within the past few days I've done possibly the simplest and cheapest "mods" but man, they have surprised me the most!

Normally I wouldn't post pics after EVERY time I wash my Explorer, but I tried quite a few new things and products and I am literally speechless. If someone were to tell me that someone locked up a brand new 2000 Explorer Sport after purchase, I would not have all that much doubt that mine could pass for it. Pics are after the usual cleaning, detail and wax, however this time I used a clay bar and would have to say it made a world of difference!

Wow! That looks great! Especially with the black vents to accent the front! Great Job!

If you want someone to take those taillight guards off your hand I might comply! ;)

Good looking ex you got there! Keep up the good work

Looking great, Varsity! Now you need an armrest... :)

Rock Auto sells the metal repair kit, or I can keep an eye out at the J/Y for a non-busted one...

The Ex does look good. I agree with Joe on fixing the arm rest or maybe you'll come across a good deal on a full length console.

Thanks for all feedback and great jobs, it was totally worth every hour I spent:D. Starting to use more Meguiar's products, and have to say the results are quite impressive!

@That911guy The taillight guards were like $30 off Amazon new, lol. I was showing them off to some friends and they thought they were stock!

@Joe & Glen, Yeah, the armrest is pretty bad, but with the way my arm leans on it, it's pretty darn comfy anyways. I may just end up taking the whole thing out to respray everything underneath to clean some weird oxidation stuff under there. If anything though, I need to keep a lookout for some new rims. Mine are extremely corroded and disgusting and some water and dirt gets under the clear coat or whatever and dries there leaving weird black spots and blah! To be honest, those rims kind of take away all my effort on the rest of the truck. I will look into the armrest repair kit though. The J/Ys around here have an uncanny amount of first gens but no second gens. :scratch:

Yeah no kidding, I did a couple searches but came up with nada.

Any chance you've got a link for us?:thumbsup:
Sorry, but I can't find them anymore. I found a pair for the '95 style lights and they're a bit pricier but nothing for the '97+ style. I bought them over a year ago, so I don't know how long Amazon keeps reordering or keeps them in stock. If it helps though, I believe the company that makes them is V Tech. Sorry man.

V-

The previous owner of my Ex stripped and painted the wheels that came on my Ex- and looked really good.

I asked him what the process was, and this is what I got:

Rims:

I used airplane stripper - which I bought at walmart believe it or not. Aluminum stripper is another name. Spray can... Tape the rubber tire because it will eat up the rubber if you ar not careful.
I sanded the surface with a wheel sander that fits on a drill. Helps make the surface and paint bond better and sands off the corrosion. I found it works better than a metal wire wheel. I bought that at Ace Hardware. Abrasive wheel may be another name.
Krylon metallic silver I think was the paint. I will check. I put on 5 or 6 coats - lightly. One can should work
Krylon Clear coat, around 4 coats. One can should work

Eric (Techieman) can vouch, as he now has those rims.

I think I have some pics, I'll post up later...

I think I have some pics, I'll post up later...
Please do. I was always thinking about painting them, preferably black because getting the right shine and color worries me. I'll be looking around though. Maybe if I can score a cheap set off a Ranger or Explorer, I'll play around with my current ones and try it out, who knows. I have so much little stuff to do on the Ex it's crazy.

Here are some pics- the front rims are obviously the ones not done. When clean, and compared to the clean ones I had in the garage, the color was excellent.

Here are some shots:

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

This is the best pic of them I have, as it was loading onto the transporter...

IMG_2098.jpg

I think they look great and the color seems to match perfectly. I was a little hesitant on whether the colors would match nicely, but by your pics, it looks pretty promising. I just don't know if I would want to paint them back to the aluminum look, or instead paint them black. Too many choices, too little time.

Because you have black lower trim, I think I'd stay silver. If you go black, you'll have black tires, rims, and trim, and it might just look weird... Might want to photoshop it, but I think you might need the color contrast.

Back