Varsity's 2000 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Varsity's 2000 Explorer Sport

I've been here awhile, just not a big poster and it made me jealous seeing everyone else's Explorer on here and mine unknown :(.
-87k miles
-2WD

Current Mods:

Under the Hood/Performance
-K&N Drop-in filter
-BBK 66mm throttle body
-Dynomax Super Turbo muffler w/ custom bent pipes
-PowerStop cross-drilled and slotted rotors
-DieHard Platinum battery
-Airbox silencer removed w/ "swiss cheese" mod
-OEM External trans cooler added

Gearing:
-Rebuilt 4.10 Limited Slip

Exterior:
-1st gen Sport emblem
-Explorer Forum license plate frames
-'99 Mountaineer side mirrors w/ puddle lights
-LED License Plate lights
-Black taillight covers
-Smoked Black headlight covers
-LED Puddle Lights
-20% Tint on side vents/quarter glass
-EXPLORER lettering on step cover painted gold
-1995 Limited grill
-Rusty rocker panels and other rust fixed
-Bug Shield w/ Sport emblem
-4" CREE LED Pods
-LED Reverse Lights
-Removed lower valance

Lift/Suspension:
-Monroe SensaTrac shocks
-Moog Polyurethane front sway bar links
-3" Body Lift
-4-door leaf springs
-AAL
-1" TT
-Sway bar link quick connects/disconnects (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38237&highlight=disconnects)

Tires/Wheels
-33x12.50 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
-15x8 American Racing AR 767 wheels

Interior:
-Overhead Console
-LED Dome Lights
-LED Dash Lights
-LEDs in Cupholder
-LED Glovebox light
-LED headlight switch
-Painted airvents and jack cover black
-52W CDX-GT565UP Sony headunit
-7 1/4" Kicker Speakers in front
-6.5" Kenwood Speakers in back
-Ford Steering wheel cover
-Side door marker lights from early 2nd gen and converted to LED
-Husky Custom-fit Floorliners
-WeatherTech Custom-fit Cargo Liner
-Uniden Radar Detector
-Maglite mount in cargo area
-2.5lb. fire extinguisher mounted in cargo area
-'01 Sport gauges
-ScanGauge II

Lighting:
-Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow fog lights
-4" LED Pods in bumper

Miscellaneous:
-Random outlining under the hood
-Smittybuilt hitch-mounted D-Ring
-Bedlined OEM gas tank skidplate

Events/Trails Attended
2013 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Indianapolis)
2014 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Indianapolis)
2015 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Lima)
2016 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Lima)
2017 Lucas Oil 4 Wheel and Off-Road Jamboree Participant (Lima)

The Cliffs Insane Terrain Off-Road Park (Marseilles, IL)
Badlands Off-Road Park (Attica, IN)

Taken not too long after I got the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow- takes a special dude to try to pry open a tailgate from the top. :rolleyes: That sucks! Nice Ex though, Varsity!

BTW-

Here is Varsity's truck during the Chicago snowstorm:

:D

(Yes, I'm bored, and lit on NyQuil. :D)

Haha sounds like your having fun. Actually, your "drawing" isn't all too far before I cleared the 8 ft drifts!! No joke either, but the Ex was nice 'n warm in the garage :). I'll get some quick snaps of the winter fun tomorrow, I started this kinda late.

Looks like a nice Ex Varsity, besides being 2wd I like :p: What are your plans? Lower, lift, or stock?

Looks like a nice Ex Varsity, besides being 2wd I like :p: What are your plans? Lower, lift, or stock?
Well not too much now as I'm still a student and college is right around the corner. However, in general I'd like to keep it simple like maybe some beefy 31's, maybe a slight BL, and other things like a louder exhaust. Main purpose is just to get me where I need to go, and some occasional trail/mud/whatever the 2wd lets me:p:.
I'm not crazy about the 2wd either, but when someone gives you a nice Ex, it's hard to say no :D I'm not into lowering or anything, so hence the tires and small BL. It'll probably be a subtle truck, still tough and off-roady without becoming a "poser."
However, there are quite a few Sports less than or around 200k with 4x4 and I did consider an engine and few other important part swap, but I can see all my money disappearing as soon as I start driving a truck with 87k mi. engine with 200k or so on everything else :p: I'll stick with what works.

Yeah a free vehicle ya don't turn down in that nice of shape. You could always put a locker in the rear to help get you where other 2wd's can't

Haha that's going on a wish-list too! :)

nice sport u got there

Alright not much has happened but I did give my Sport a well-deserved wash, my "spring cleaning." Sadly, I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to wax. But since last update, I've replaced the crank angle sensor and the serpentine belt since the squeaking was just unbearable. I really apologize for the picture quality. Like I said, I spent all day today cleaning inside and out and by the time I got to taking pics, the sun was uncooperative. I did try this new trim cleaner/protector gel from EagleOne and my god is this stuff great. I have a rebate for it too so basically it was free!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43985406@N07/5583590778/

To get an idea of how shiny my black trim and front bumper are:

Interior:

And project in next few weeks:

I had no idea it was getting bad until I washed it. Will make a good weekend project in a few weeks. Also, I plan on getting black headlight covers sometime soon. I really like the look of them on 2nd gens.

Little update. Got some new shades for the Ex and I think they look pretty cool. Of course I'll take em off before doing really dark driving, but around the city you barely even need headlights. I just have to work on securing them around the corners a little better.

Thanks!

Looks good man. Have you thought about tinting the side vent windows? When I did them on my sport, it made a world of difference, and it was only 40 bucks.

Looks good man. Have you thought about tinting the side vent windows? When I did them on my sport, it made a world of difference, and it was only 40 bucks.
Actually I haven't but now that sounds like an amazing idea! That will go on my list of my projects to do.

I'm out of school now, so on my list of things to do that WILL get done this summer, just with time:
-Tune up and oil change
-Paint the vents inside black
-New stereo
-Touch up/Work on back bumper
-Probably more, just can't remember now. Ahh the joys of owning an Explorer.
-Side vent tint (maybe not this summer though. Funds are limited)

BTW, anyone know know how to remove the trim around the side of the headlight? A program I checked show it as a single piece, but around the side of the headlight it's almost a separate piece. I would just like to move it so I can pop the side of the headlight cover under it.

You have to remove all the screws (or bolts?) for the grille, then the 2 screws that hold the blinker assy's in and pull them out, then theres a screw behind the blinker for the corners of the grille)

Wow speedy and so very helpful. If I'm lucky, I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks for all the help so far Brian!

Not a problem man, glad to help:thumbsup:

The blinkers are sometimes tricky, and sometimes they just come right off, theres 2 screws on the top, and then you just gotta fanagle them out.

lookin good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice! The X is looking great!

Back