Venting about my 2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Venting about my 2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8

There is a tsb for the a/c thumping, they replace the accumulator, the 6 speed can be reprogrammed under another tsb... I did them both on my 08. works perfect and no thumps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission shifting issue is extremely common with all 06+ V8 6 speed (6R?) equiped Explorers, Sport Tracs, and Mountaineers. It's actually a Metronics/ adaptive learning issue. It's gathering stray signals that is causing un predictible shifting quality problems.

There is no fix yet. To my knowledge.. Ford has been working this since 2005 with nothing approved to date.

The transmission shifting issue is extremely common with all 06+ V8 6 speed (6R?) equiped Explorers, Sport Tracs, and Mountaineers. It's actually a Metronics/ adaptive learning issue. It's gathering stray signals that is causing un predictible shifting quality problems.

There is no fix yet. To my knowledge.. Ford has been working this since 2005 with nothing approved to date.

New here but looking for some advice. I'm looking at an '07 v8 Limited 4x4 Sport Trac at a local Ford dealership. It has 58k miles. I haven't taken it out for a test drive yet as they informed me that there is some maintenance work scheduled for the truck before it can be taken out on a test drive (sounds a little fishy to me).

Right now I'm driving an '05 Tacoma single cab and need to upgrade to a four door truck. I've been looking at mostly the Tacoma's and Frontiers but the Sport Trac has caught my attention. My biggest question is about the 4x4 transmission. I've never owned a 4x4 truck and wasn't sure what kind of regular maintenance is required for the Sport Trac transmission. Is there a major scheduled maintenance on these transmissions at 60k miles that is required by Ford in order to keep it under warranty? Is there regular maintenance that should be performed by Ford in order to keep it in proper working order? I don't plan on using the 4x4 capability much at all, so it will not be used very frequently.

I really like a lot of the options that the 4x4 limited gives you in relation to what can be had from the Tacoma and Frontier. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

I have no clue what the maintenance schedule is on the gen2 tracs. I'll have to check with my service department.

Come to think of it, your selling dealer rep should be able to provide you this information if he/she communicates with his/her service department.

That's a great question I'd ask a salesperson to chase. That's going a little above and beyond the typical call of duty if you ask me.

You can't even compare a V8 07+ ST to a Toyota or a Nissan imho. The ST just brings so much more to the table.

I found a really nice review of the gen2 ST vs. a Tacoma and a Ridgeline on youtube.com once.

I have no clue what the maintenance schedule is on the gen2 tracs. I'll have to check with my service department.

Come to think of it, your selling dealer rep should be able to provide you this information if he/she communicates with his/her service department.

That's a great question I'd ask a salesperson to chase. That's going a little above and beyond the typical call of duty if you ask me.

You can't even compare a V8 07+ ST to a Toyota or a Nissan imho. The ST just brings so much more to the table.

I found a really nice review of the gen2 ST vs. a Tacoma and a Ridgeline on youtube.com once.

I'll definitely ask the sale rep about the maintenance schedule on the transmission without a doubt. But according to him they don't sell many Sport Trac's so I am not too sure how knowledgeable he will be on this without tracking down someone in the Service Dept.

Even though I do drive an '05 Taco, I've not been impressed with the driving characteristics of the '05+ DoubleCab Tacoma's. I do really like the '05+ CrewCab Frontier's but I've heard time and time again about the REALLY bad Nissan Service. I do have to say though that I really like the added features that come with the Sport Trac Limited over the others for the price (leather seats, sunroof, 4x4, V8, in-dash 6 CD changer, electronic rolldown rear window, and a little more interior cabin room). My only area of apprehension is the size of the truck bed. I don't use the truck bed too often but I wonder how others get around the need to throw 2x4's, large sections of partical board, landscape timbers, etc in the back?

i had a 05 st, bought 07 because of 3 valve V8 and larger size. wow what truck. i dont really think of it as a truck, but a fine automobile. i have 4 other vehicles but this is 1st choise. check my other post, i love this truck. hope to upgrade to 09 sta soon.

just some info i read and believe from driving my experience 1. if your real easy on the throttle until it shifts to second it wont shift hard 2. ford made the first gear in these trucks reallyyy stout and short to improve towing ability so in every day driving if you;ve noticed your in first gear for like a second it hard shifts and its smooth sailing after that.

Old thread resurrected.
As far as the door pulls and no power window, very early build Gen 2 Tracs had the funky rear door pulls and a solid rear window. My '08 has regular armrest pulls AND the funky ones down low. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Back