Venting about my 2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Venting about my 2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8

Saleen1978

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8
Ok, I didn't know where to post this so this place will have to do. Bought my new 2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8 about a month ago.
#1 problem: Window sticker from dealer locator that salesperson faxed me has the power sliding rear window under standard options but the actual window sticker from truck doesn't show the power slider. Didn't notice this until all papers were signed. I raised a little hell & now Ford is supposed to be sending me a check for $250. That doesn't seem fair to me. It would cost me twice as much to buy that power slider from Ford & that doesn't include installation.
#2 problem: Those damn door pulls!!! My trucks manuf. date is 7/06, Ford changed the door pulls after mine was built. I can't seem to find the upgraded armrests anywhere. Dealer says I would have to purchase the whole door panel. (over $1,000 ea.)
#3 problem: For those who have an 07 Sport Trac, does yours shift funny? Mine shifts really hard sometimes, & it's an automatic. I don't understand why it shifts so hard. Also, there is a loud thunk when I turn on the A/C.
Ok I am done venting. Any advice anyone has to give I would really appreciate. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only problem #1

Hi there...

Don't settle for less than what was on the sticker YOU agreed to. If it should have power, and it can be added, regardless of the contract you signed, make them install it at their cost. And after they do that, return the check if you receive it, call and tell them why you're returning it. If they are sending you a check because of that issue, they have conceded that there is an issue, go for the whole install, not just a credit.

Salesperson: Keep their information private, contact their sales manager as soon as possible to let them know you are coming in, (use a cell phone to call so you can keep phone records) have any conversation face to face if possible, no hell raising because they will try to get you off their lot. Don't go alone, take someone that can support what you are told by the sales department - and please post a pic of your power sliding rear window after it is installed. If they disagree, can you please let the outcome be known?

This is not legal advice, but you sound like you can handle your business. Don't let them get away with that...

And discuss this issue with the Arkansas MVC if the dealership disagrees - keep the MVC on your cell phone... they'll be able to assist.

I'm assuming since you have a V8 that it has the new 6 speed transmission. They are having that problem with that transmission in general. Ford is aware of it and to my knowledge haven't found a permanent fix for it yet. Someone with a regular Explorer with that transmission was posting about it the other day.

Donner, thank you for your advice. I really don't want to add the power slider now, I would have rathered it already come on the truck during manufactering. Installing something like that after the fact might cause it to leak sooner. I think it would be more of a hassle than a correction on their part. I just think Ford should reimburse me for what the dang thing "would" cost me if I "wanted" to get it installed. Oh well, that's just my opinion.

Briwayjones, thank you too for your response. Yep got the V8 with the 6 speed transmission. Just found out the other day that the trans. is a sealed unit. I can't even have my husband check the trans. fluid level. We went to our local dealership & asked where the dipstick for the trans. was & that's when they told us about it being a sealed unit. My husband asked him how does he change the trans. fluid & the service manager told him if he ain't got the right tools then he doesn't need to mess with it. How do you like them apples???

Sounds like it worked out fine!

Good going! I would prefer it factory installed too, so I understand. (Just a side note, a lot of the extras are done outside the factory by a third party. We have a local non-Ford [but major] dealership with "factory installed" items - they are installed around the corner in their shop and then put on the lot... and they are very good at what they do!)

I hope you raised hell then :D sounds like they deserved it! :salute:

mine also does the thud after i turn of the ac. i just thought it was a valve closing. BUt my truck is the v6 model.

venting?

I really don't have anything to vent about. Had mine about a month so far.
I like the door pulls, my AC doesn't make noise and my auto 6 doesn't shift hard or make noise either? I did notice the tranny sounds a bit louder when cold out and first starting ( like say 35 degrees ) but it quickly sounds better a few miles down the road. I love mine. Perfect size for me, great gas and a whole lot more stylish then a typical 3/4 truck. Chicks dig it too ;)

Funny shifting

I just bought a 07 limited with the v8 and 6 speed auto. The truck has a great ride but it feels like I am loosing all of the power in the trans...not that fast considering 292 hp. The trans feels like it is down shifting hard exspecially at low speeds but quite unremarkable on acceleration. I was hoping you all could point me in the direction of an after market chip to cure my transmission woes.

It may be too early yet for PCM(Powertrain Control Module) tuners to be able to do much with the trans, but do ask them. James here is very good with the older trucks, PCM's.

Those newer transmissions have a PCM which should learn your driving habits(change characteristics as you drive). Give it a few weeks before worrying too much. Good luck,

mine also does the thud after i turn of the ac. i just thought it was a valve closing. BUt my truck is the v6 model.

I do believe the thunk sound I hear is that ac flap thingy closing & opening. I'm so technical aren't I? I'm not too much worried about that.

Now who said they like the door pulls??? Oh yes, Raretoy, do you have the old armrests or the newer ones? The old ones have no place to hold on to when opening or closing your door. The upgraded armrests have an indention for your hand so you can easily open & close your door. I hate these stupid old ones! I'm trying to find the new ones but Ford says I would have to buy new door panels. OMG, is it not enough that I just paid over $33,000 for the dang truck?! I'm ok now.

Pothole, my ST also downshifts hard at low speeds. It is something I'll have to get used to I guess. Unless Ford decides to put out a TSS or recall. Hubby is ticked cause he can't check the trans. fluid level. He thinks it might be low. Oh well, life goes on. Thanks for everyones thoughts!

A new trans usually takes a few years before any useful valve body kit is made, based on customer issues. The fluid is basically pumped in until it overflows a built in level spout, a drain inside the pan/case. I have not got one, but keep reading others experience adding or checking them. It sounds not very hard, but very odd to have to do it from under the trans. If you have really worrisome symptoms, then make the dealer check the fluid for you. That's about all that they will do now, short of changing it, with it being so new. Regards,

... Bought my new 2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4x4 V8 about a month ago.....

#2 problem: Those damn door pulls!!! My trucks manuf. date is 7/06, Ford changed the door pulls after mine was built. I can't seem to find the upgraded armrests anywhere. Dealer says I would have to purchase the whole door panel. (over $1,000 ea.)

#3 problem: For those who have an 07 Sport Trac, does yours shift funny? Mine shifts really hard sometimes, & it's an automatic. I don't understand why it shifts so hard. Also, there is a loud thunk when I turn on the A/C.
Ok I am done venting. Any advice anyone has to give I would really appreciate. Thanks.

That is seriously messed up. They should retrofit your door panels for free...they are just cheap molded plastic peices. The tranny not having a dipstick or easy way to check/change the fluid??? I would be pissed off. As somebody else said, take it to the dealer and make them chekc the fluid and all under warranty because it's shifting like crap. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

That is seriously messed up. They should retrofit your door panels for free...they are just cheap molded plastic peices. The tranny not having a dipstick or easy way to check/change the fluid??? I would be pissed off. As somebody else said, take it to the dealer and make them chekc the fluid and all under warranty because it's shifting like crap. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The parts dept. said the door panels are about $500 each & there's no guarantee they'll even fit right & no refunds. So now I'm in a real pickle. I hate those arm rests. It's such an inconvenience getting in & out of the truck only having that door pull under the window/door lock switches to hold on to making sure your door doesn't hit the vehicle parked beside you. I've looked for some late model salvage yards, maybe get lucky & find an Explorer of the same year to get the door panels but not luck there. If anyone knows of any salvage yards that has 2007/2008 Explorers or Sport Tracs please let me know. Thanks,
Aggravated in Arkansas

Many of the most expensive yards(late model) can do nation wide searches for parts. That the truck is so new limits choices, but if they are out there, the cost would likely be half of new, or more. I feel your pain, those are the yards that I would like to buy from, but they want 50% for most any part, whether it's wanted, or old, or not. Good luck,

I bought mine in november of 06. Brand new 07 model v-8 limited 4x4 all that jazz.. It is the orange pearl metalic I think its called. Ive noticed the thud from the transmission. Kinda feels like when a U joint is going if you've ever experianced that. I was told by a buddy who works for ford that it is an issue with the AWD system that comes in them. The thud from the a/c is just a door closing to allow the ac to flow. Its no big deal really. Ive not had a single problem with my truck. It has over 22000 on it right now. Its been from ohio to Oklahoma and back then to texas back to ohio then back to texas. Im getting ready to make the trip once again from texas to ohio and back. The truck runs great and I always get comments on it. Hopefully they can fix the transmission issue because it is quite annoying.

Don't freak about the thunk, my 05 does it whenever the AC kicks the compressor on.

Thanks for the heads up on the trans, I've been thinking about buying an 08 XLT brand new for my new 'roading rig :D I doubt I'll buy anytime soon (my rent's are gonna pay off the 05 this march or may.. around there.) I just wish they had aftermarket parts out for them now! i wanna see how much i'm gonna have to save! :D

I'll be brief. There are about 8764387956348756 TSBs on the tranny over hard shifting.
There IS a tranny dipstick. It's about an inch long and you must be under the truck to find it.
The newer door panels DO fit.

I think I covered it all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2007 Sport Trac Limited 4x4, with the 4.6L V-8.

I have had some trans problems with down shift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. There was a slight thupping sound, Ford Dealer has reprogramed the trans, changed some module on it, oil, and will fix any trans problems while I own it. It shifts fine now.

Back