Vents not blowing hard

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
So I'm still trying to get my air to blow out like it suppose to. Heat and A/C blow hot and cold out of the right places, just not very hard. You can barely feel it out of the side vents. I've done just about every check you can do and still have had no luck. Ran across a youtube video of replacing the rubber o-rings inside of the EATC. Don't know if it will fix it but going to try.

On another note they only sold the 007 o-rings in a packet of 935 million so if anyone wants to try it I'll send you a few. I doubt I'll ever use them all.

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that doesn't do it, check the hose coming off the vacuum ball.

Mine had a small leak.

Now it works like a new one.

I've check. I've even replaced the vacuum ball.

If my experience with 4 Explorers, 2 Mountaineers and a Sport Trac, the dash side vents do not blow very hard. You can barely feel any air coming out of them even with the blower fan on high and even closing the center vents does't help. It's just they way they are and there's nothing you can do about it.

What is every check one can do? I mean you may have done this already but did you pull the blower motor (squirrel cage) wheel out and check it for gunk buildup, and attempt to clean the air passage into it in case there's leaves/insect nests/etc partially blocking it? You might also want to do the same for the resistor or transistor pack blower module on the firewall.

In theory the motor might also turn at lower RPM as the bearings wear out, but they're not exactly user friendly to swap bearings or even relube them.

I’ve check all the vacuum lines and replace the ball. New compressor dryer and orifice tube. Evacuated it. Blows cold and the dryer just sweats just doesn’t blow hard on the inside. I have pulled the blower and check/cleaned it. I’ve cleaned the heater core and evaporator. I’ve replaced the blend door and actuator. The weird thing is the air blows super strong out of the hole I cut to replace it. I triple checked to make sure I sealed all the holes up. I’ve ran the self check and watched the blend door move. I’ve pulled the vents off to make sure the old lady I got it from didn’t stuff any oregano down the vents (it was a CO car before). I’ve even driven around without the EATC unit in and have a vacuum on the line off the back of it while driving.

Subed to the thread as I have the same issue in my 2000 XLT. Hope to see a fix for it.

Both of mine do this, my Eddie Bauer isn't bad though, I've found on my XLT that closing the right vent on the radio bezel seems to cure it.

Here after it was JB welded together. Seem to have made the center ones blow a little harder but can still barely feel the outside vents.

4685B6B6-C86C-48A2-846D-1F009652D652.jpeg

Well I took out my center console with the rear a/c heater. I wasn't planning on putting it back in so I just ripped the vents out along with the center console. I plugged the vent under the control center and my vents blow twice as hard now. I even have them coming out of the side vents :thumbsup: I didn't really look for any cracks or anything when I pulled it out but it didn't look like it was leaking anywhere.
Turning the rear fan off always made a slight difference but this has made the fan blow acceptable for me now. If you want to keep the rear vents, maybe check to see it they vents under the console are leaking?

Back