• Register Today It's free!

Vents problem

xTOM153x

Reaction score
City, State
West Islip Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
For some reason whenever I have the A/C on it will blow out the front vents for a while but after about 2-3 min it will stop blowing air out the front vents and just start blowing air out the top almost like its changing it by itself. Anyone have this problem before?

I am having a similar problem. The vents will change by themselves even with the front vents selected. I think there is a vacuum problem somewhere since vacuum controls that stuff. I am getting a vacuum guage from work to see if I can figure out the problem. Did you ever get this figured out? I also had a sucking sound coming out of my passenger side a soon as I lightly pressed the throttle. I determined this was coming from the vacuum vessel (black plastic resevoir that sits under teh passenger dash and saves vacuum if the engine drops its supply such as while accelerating).

Gentlemen, I have an answer. Stangcbr (car/bike?) is correct. Most likely this is a vacuum leak or failure. The failsafe is to default to Defrost. (it keeps the windshield clear for visibility safety). If you have a vacuum leak then going to Wide Open Throttle WOT will drop all vacuum and the system goes to defrost. This can be something as simple as a leaky vacuum line or as severe as an exhaust restriction. I had my Y-pipe cats fail and cause a very similar problem.

Back