VERY DISAPOINTED AT MY EX !!!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

VERY DISAPOINTED AT MY EX !!!!!!

Daniel -

Sounds like somebody weren't prepared!!!

Your vehicle is more capable than you may think. You just have to learn the capabilities of your vehicle before trying on different adventures!

About wheeling in sand: air down your tires between 6-8psi. The low tire pressure will allow your vehicle to float over the sand by increasing the tire contact patch with the sand. High pressure will only dig into the sand and you'll be stuck. Oh yeah, if your tires are bald or you have all-season tires, that doesn't help either.

Get a buddy to go with you so you guys can help out one another in difficult situations. Get some absolutely essential gears (i.e. 20k lbs min. rated tow line, f+r tow points on your vehicle, air compressor, etc.) and practice towing each other out so you won't be stuck like that in the future.

If you have an open rear, it wouldn't matter if you put your truck on a lift, both tires will still spin, same as the front. The only time you'd know is if you're stuck and one tire is spinning. A limited slip won't help you either since it will give and slip before overcoming the obstacle. It's made for the road, light and slippery stuff, not for obstacles like steep off-camber hills or rocks.

We all have to learn the hard way, otherwise, we wouldn't be men!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank`s alot Kvo , I will keep that in mind...it`s true I was not prepares to go there. I wasn`t even suppose to go there anyway . I was just riding and saw that sand pit and went right into it ! But I will keep your advise in mind.

thank you very much for the reply.

I disagree with Kvo a bit about the limited slip. I would have been stuck quite a few times had I not had the l/s. It is no comparison to a full locker, but a lot better than open diff.

I agree too with you Mbrooks... lock is better but slip is better then noting...but anyway I think I have a prob with my transfer case because the front don`t seem to lock whatsoever...otherwise at least one of the front wheel will help me get out.

Yes, we can all agree to disagree, that's the best part!

Anyway, if you have an open front differential and a LS rear differential, if one of your rear wheels is spinning, that means you have exceeded the capability of the LS and all your power is going to that one slipped wheel. Even if your transfer case is engaged, it does not lock 50% of the power to the front and 50% to the rear because it is an open transfer case, so all power goes to that one slipped wheel. That's why your front did not pull you out last time.

But I bet it was fun wasn't it!!!

I remember the first time I was ever stuck in my old '91 X, it was a riot also. Once I got the rear locker installed, it was a walk in the park. My nerve usually gave up way before reaching my truck's limits.

That isn't correct. The only time that happens is when there is a third differential to split the torque between the front and rear driveshafts. This is a common setup on AWD cars such as Subaru. Daniel's '95 has a transfer case that will divide the torque 50/50 between the front and rear driveshafts regardless if one rear tire is spinning or not. His has 4x4 Auto so what should have happened was that as soon as his rear tire started to spin the torque should have been reduced to the rear and diverted to the front until both the front and rear driveshafts were spinning at the same speed. If the vacuum control on his front differential didn't engage the front wheels would not have gotten the torque though. It woudn't have anything to do with the transfer case.

An easy check is to lift all four tires off the ground and put it in 4x4 Auto. Idle in gear at a slow speed. If the front driveshaft starts turning almost immediately but the front tires don't, then the problem is with the vacuum disconnect. If the front driveshaft doesn't spin then the problem is inside the transfer case (probably the clutches).

all stock Explorers have open front diffs by the way

Sounds like a good explanation to me. I have been wrong plenty of times before!

That's what's best about this board, if you're wrong, someone will point it out w/o sarcasm and insults.

And don't forget the best thing you can add to any vehicle is a experianced driver :cool:

Hey KVO your right it was fun !! :eek:)) about your lock in the back , how do I go to get one install...is this something major to do ?

Daniel -

I didn't install it, I had a shop installed it for me. It was a Powertrax No-Slip unit. Others here have installed it themselves because they felt comfortable doing it and said it didn't take too much time and was pretty simple.

Depending on where you buy the unit from, I think it runs about $300 - $400 USD. Check out the For Sale Forum, may be someone has it on sale. I think I saw someone bought a brand new unit for $259 USD last year from a mail order company.

It was the best mod that I put on my truck. You have to adjust your drving habit after installing it since it will chirp the inside tires in turns and at acceleration.

Everyone who has a No-Slip installed has nothing but praises for it.

thak`s alot I will look into it....take a look at the post and put concerning OWNER MANUAL and tell me if can help with this matter.

thank`again.

I mean if you can help with this matter...

Back