• Register Today It's free!

Very strange transmission issue!

lkreykes

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
Hello all, I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4.0L 5R55S tranny, both with 207,000 miles on them, about 2,000 miles on a transmission rebuild, and this is about to get crazy. I've owned the vehicle since May 15, 2013 and it had 165,000 miles and ever since we bought it, it has had a really weird shifting issue. Normally in an automatic car, as you accelerate and the transmission upshifts, the RPMs will drop at the time of shift, right? Every auto car I've been in is like that. You can tell when it shifts. In my explorer, you can barely tell. The RPMs do not change when it shifts while accelerating. It is just a smooth, continuous pattern until you are at the speed you wanna go. For those of you who have driven a car with a CVT... imagine it doing that. However if you floor it, you can tell when it shifts (kind of), it is only when you are driving normally when you cant tell. like i said it's done this since I got it and I knew eventually it would take a crap so we had it rebuilt back in March when it went out in my driveway. I thought the strange shifting would go away after a rebuild, solenoid pack replacement, couple band replacements, etc but sadly, it did not. Now this is where it gets really weird. If i am accelerating from a stop and I move the gear shifter down into first, second, or third, it will all of the sudden accelerate faster (!?). If I don't do that, it will shift itself all the way up into fourth gear by time i'm going 20 MPH. Then, if I want to speed up more from 20, it will let go of fourth completely, hunt around for some gears until it finds a gear (usually second or third) to slam into very violently. What the heck is wrong with this transmission!?? Could it be the lock-up solenoid for the torque converter gone bad? The torque converter itself? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Sounds more like a servo failure to me. Can you not return it to the rebuilder?

Sounds more like a servo failure to me. Can you not return it to the rebuilder?

I have a 1 year 40k mile warranty that I will gladly take advantage of. I took the mechanic for a ride with me and he said "it is totally fine and is supposed to do that"..... right. I just wanted to know what exactly to tell him when I bring it back. I read about servo failures, and apparently they're quite common with the 5R55 series transmissions? The symptoms matched mine pretty closely. I'll tell the mechanic to fix both of those and I'll report back with results later this week hopefully

Back