Vibration in forward and reverse, nothing in N or P | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration in forward and reverse, nothing in N or P

metalmechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Search function appears to not be working right now:( so while I manually search, I thought I'd post my problem.

Started awhile ago with a stumble when driving up steeper hills. No change in idle, I don't think the tranny was slipping. Went away a soon as heavy load is off acc.

Now, when sitting still, getting bad vibration in all forward gears and reverse. It's fine in Park and Neutral. When driving, vibrates badly until about 2000 RPM, then goes away. Vibration starts again at every shift.

Am unsure if it is tranny or engine problem. Both fluid levels are up, nothing outwardly wrong.

Any ideas anyone?

Aaron

Almost forgot! It's a 95 XLT, tranny and engine stock except minor mods (CAI etc)
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and no flashing O/D light, no engine light, nothing!

...My first thoughts if this occurs in drive while revving the engine a little and the foot on the brake, but it doesn't occur in park or neutral would be, a tranny mount..:dunno:

That's what I was thinking (hoping) it might be. I don't have to step on the gas at all though, it vibrates very clearly at idle...

Aaron

BUMP

it also appears to go away, more or less, once the vehicle has warmed up...

...That sounds about right...Have you gotten under the vehicle to see if that is the problem??

Tranny mount worn out, was replaced, but not the problem, vibration still there. I'm now leaning towards the exhaust system as it sounds choked when idling.

Not the cheap repair I was looking for!:(

...Go ahead and get your codes read...There should be codes even if there is no light...:scratch:...I am wondering if you ae having a fuel related problem or tranny fluid in a vacuum line, but the codes, or lack of codes, may help led us in the right direction...

I think that's a good idea, before I spend more money I don't have! Will do it tomorrow after work, will update then.

Thanks for your help Tbars!

...No problem and I'm sure more will jump in when you have some more info posted...;)

...By the way, what CAI do you have installed and how long have you had it???

check the spark plug cables maibe u need new ones, my 00 mountaineer was doing the same thing and it was the spark plug cables they were crack everywere.

Back