Vibration in peddle on accelleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration in peddle on accelleration

cwdesign

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
I have been having a little vibration coming from my gas peddle and the floor board. When I press on the accelerator you can hear the engine roar and also feel a slight vibration on the floor board/peddle. This happens at any speed.

When driving down the highway and I press the accelerator I feel the same vibration. Does anyone know what this may be?

I had a driveshaft replaced 8 months ago and everything was working fine then. I was having this problem about 3 months after the replacement.

Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cwdesign said:
I have been having a little vibration coming from my gas peddle and the floor board. When I press on the accelerator you can hear the engine roar and also feel a slight vibration on the floor board/peddle. This happens at any speed.

When driving down the highway and I press the accelerator I feel the same vibration. Does anyone know what this may be?

I had a driveshaft replaced 8 months ago and everything was working fine then. I was having this problem about 3 months after the replacement.

Please help

i'm having the same problem... what did it turn out to be?...

Just a guess but could it be that some bolts in the driveline have worked loose? It sounds a little like the way U-joints used to act when they were starting to wear.

i had that in 4th and 5th gear when i would press the pedal slightly. i filled up with premium and it went away so i cleaned the maf and ran some seafoam through the engine and it never came back even when running regular gas again

i had something like that happen in my moms' x. we were feeling a vibration in the whole range of speeds and couldn't think of what the problem was and sure enough when we took it in to have the tires balanced the mechanic found that the bolts were loose all the way around the rear driveshaft coupler thing. lol

I noticed this the other day when driving my girlfriends explorer sport(2002), at any speed if you press the pedal a certain way or just on occasion you get a vibration right on the pedal.

What should I get checked out on it?

Well CW,
Welcome to the world of 4 wheel drive explorers. I'm on my second one and vibration in the gas pedal is a common and elusive problem.
First, My previous 96 EB 4WD with a 4.0 L OHV engine had the same problem and very few people noticed it. I did big time. I replaced U-Joints and checked everything I could think of. Finially drove another 96 with 4.0L OHV and it was the same way. Had Ford Dealer Shop test drive, for a fee, and they said sorry thats the way they are. Live with it. it had something to do with the engine and tranny/TC combo. Ford supposed solved the problem by offering the 4.0L SOHC engine, which among other things was supposed to be smoother!
Second. I solved my problem (almost) by replacing the 96 w 4.0L engine with a 97 EB with a V8 AWD. The engine is MUCH smoother. The gas pedal vibration I had with the 4.0L is not there. It does have a slight Torsional damper vibration a very low rpms (1500 or so) when accelerating. Goes away by increasing rpm. And it also has a slight Transfer case induced vibration under acceleration but that I understand. But nothing as annoying as the vibration resonance I had with the 96.
So what are you to do? Not sure what engine you have. If it's a 4.0L OHV - dump it?
Otherwise the problem should be solveable by commom means (U-Joints, TC, balance Drivelines, Exhaust Pipe hangars etc)
Good Luck - You may need it.
Jerry

I get a bit of a vibration as well. I have been noticing on the diagnostic computer at work there is a selection for "4x4 shudder fix". It has something to do with either PCM or GEM calibration, but I haven't done any research into what it really does. This is an option that you'll only find on a Ford diagnostic computer. I'll do it to mine and let you know if it worked.

This is a real common problem with the newer OHV engines. I have driven 4 2001s that do this, and its annoying as hell. I have a 96 Limited and you cant feel anything in the pedal, but in the 98 and up Explorers I have driven, they had this annoying beat of the engine in the pedal. I am not sure what the problem is, but the only difference that I found was the Transmission was the 5speed version, and mine is the 4. And also the Auto 4wd, and 4HI transfer case. Also, my engine makes a whistle, that sounds like a turbo, and the newer trucks dont seem to have that sound.

Its a Ford, so live with it..

Back