Vibration in steering...HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration in steering...HELP!!

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
So today I was working on my fog lamps and had to turn the wheel several times to do so to get to the fog lamps. I was parked on pavement and turned the wheel while the key was in accessory position so the truck wasnt running.

Went to take off later on and found that I have a slight tugging or vibration feel when turning the wheel. I also feel it more at low speeds. I should also tell you I just recently put a set of wheel spacers on it and used loctite on the lugs, and havent felt any movement of them when driving.

also, there is plenty of fluid in the PS tank under the hood.

any ideas?? i'm hoping I didnt jack something major up :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your hub bearing assemblies, ball joints and tie rod ends.

If you didn't check the lugs on the spacers and wheels I would check there first. I wouldn't assume that just because you used locktite that they can't come loose.

Also if the spacers aren't hub centric then you need to loosely tighten three lug nuts first to line them up then tighten then rest down. I never put loctite on mine and never had any issues.

I have talked to a few ppl and read a few posts on here and I'm hoping..and leaning towards the idea that there's air in the line from the tires being turned on pavement without the vehicle running. So tomorrow i'm gonna try to bleed off the excess air and refill the PS fluid and see what happens..if not then i'll start checking else where

thanks for the input guys!

Regardless...don't just install spacers and assume because you used locktite that all is fine. You should check the torque after 100 miles and then still periodically and every time the wheel is off and then 100 miles after that again.

Oh well sure no doubt, I'm keeping an eye on those regardless..i broke a lug off my old ranger I used them on (no loctite) and ever since then i'm really nervous about using them lol

I'll be checking those 2moro as well

So I'm at work and couldnt stand it any longer..I removed the cap off the PS reservoir and started the truck..turned the wheel several times left and right and then topped off the fluid..replaced the cap and tried the wheel again, no vibration or shimmy!! :) so now I will check the rest of my truck out 2moro as precautionary

Back