Blowing Fuses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blowing Fuses

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
alright guys..in a bit of a pickle here...last night I went outside to start my truck at work, turned on the parking lights, which in turn, turned on my fog lights...nothing out of the norm from what I ususally do.

I should also tell you that I recently installed a set of 35w HIDs in the fog lamps..havent had a problem yet.

So after about 15 mins I came back out to my ST and discovered that the fog lamps were off..traced it back to the 15a fuse under the hood was blown.

Today I just went back out and tried replacing with some 20a's and they immediately blow when I try to activate the fog lamps...

Its been quite wet around here lately but last week I took the thing off road and got mud and everything else up under it...so i'm not sure why the rain would have any effect on it at this point..

ANY SUGGESTIONS!?! I'M BUGGING OUT ON THIS ONE :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple questions...

Did you wire th lights thru a relay and a fusable link or just tie it into a hot power source?

Did you use heat shrink on the connections?

Do you have any pictures so we can see the connections, wiring, lights, etc..?

Sounds like you're grounding out somewhere, have a pinched hot wire that's grounding out.

Chase all the wires to find the problem.

Well the system was a complete "plug and play" style. Kit comes with the light bulb, ballast, and a few connectors to make the connection. I plugged the light bulb into the reciever connects that go into the ballast. Then connected the ballast to the factory bulb connection, with the provided connector.

Basically, I didnt have to cut or "wire" anything into place. Now I broke one of the "keeper" clips that kept the bulb connected to the plug in on the factory setup...so i'm wondering if that has something to do with it..if somehow it backed out enough to let water in there or something? i'm really not sure at this point, I plan to chase wires tomorrow when the truck dries out a bit

The plastic clip that broke probably is letting the metal touch and ground out or it could be letting moisture in and fried the bulb. Probably the first of the two.

I'll never mess with HID's because there are too many cheap kits out there that crap out for whatever reason. I know alot of people that have installed the cheap and the really expensive kits and both had problems.

Well I just got done checking it all out and the one I was telling you about did have a bit of moisture inside the connector..however, online it says that this kit is fully submergeable and is backed by a 2 year warranty.

I checked all wires (as far as I could go with them) and nothing burnt out or melted..its def something with that passenger side assembly because I tried the drivers side by itself and it worked fine no problems..but as soon as the other is connected it blows the fuse...so I emailed the dude and I'm wondering if the ballast isnt fried from the slight bit of water that got up in the connection..we will soon find out I guess

Figured that was it. Don't tell them you broke the one clip, they might try and void the warranty. Good luck.

Back